Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod version is 1.0.4 but my friends is 1.1.1

Both our (my friend and I) iPods are Gen 7 but it has come to my attention that my iPod has the version 1.0.4 MAC while my friend's one is 1.1.1 PC

He has asked me to sync his iPod to my iTunes library but my iTunes told me that my friend's iPod requires the latest version of iTunes, which is odd as my current version iTunes is the latest one (yes I have rechecked) - my iTunes is being run on an old MacBook (Mac OS X, version 10.6.8)

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

Feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 7:35 AM

7 replies

Jan 4, 2017 5:16 PM in response to jeraldfromsingapore

Greetings jeraldfromsingapore,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you want to sync the iPod nano (7th generation) with a different computer and you are getting a message to update iTunes. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPod or you have issues with synching, try these steps:

• Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
  • Connect your iPod to your computer with a different USB port. Your computer needs a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 to connect with an iPod nano.
  • If your iPod is connected to a USB hub, try to connect it directly to the USB port in your computer. Also, make sure that your computer is connected to power.
  • Disconnect your iPod from the Lightning cable, then reconnect it.
  • Restart your computer.

If your computer still doesn't recognize your iPod, try these steps:

• Reset your iPod. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo.
  • Restore the software on your iPod.

Get help with your iPod nano (7th generation)

Take care.

Jan 12, 2017 7:40 PM in response to jeraldfromsingapore

Hi,

Just so you know, the iPod nano software version 1.0.4 is the latest version for your iPod. Only iPod nanos manufactured in 2015 or later can update to 1.1.1. This can get tricky since they are both referred to as the 7th generation (there is no 8th generation at this time, by the way). In July 2015, new colors were introduced, and only these models can update to 1.1.1.

To get a newer version of iTunes, you would need a newer version of macOS. iTunes 11.4 is the last compatible version with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8). See http://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/ for instructions, and to see if your Mac's hardware is compatible with a newer version of macOS.

Jan 13, 2017 3:22 PM in response to jeraldfromsingapore

That's correct. There's nothing you can do.

From the iPod nano specifications page at http://www.apple.com/ipod-nano/specs/:

System Requirements

Mac: USB 2 or 3 port, OS X v10.7.5 or later, and iTunes 12.2 or later5

PC: USB 2 port, Windows 7 or later, and iTunes 12.2 or later5

Internet access required; broadband recommended; fees may apply

(Note: the formatting of the iPod (PC or Mac) is irrelevant. You can sync the PC version with a Mac and vice versa. It can be reformatted to the Mac version but that's not going to change the requirements).

Jan 12, 2017 4:38 PM in response to darren.s

hey there!

My friend's iPod seem to be relatively new compared to mine, I think it's an 8th Gen.

Will that somehow be the problem?

Oh, when I connect the iPod to the computer, it can be seen on the desktop but not recognized by iTunes

Yes, I have the latest iTunes (it's 11.4)

When I connect my friend's iPod to my computer, a messages pops up saying:

"The iPod cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes"

my ipod version is 1.0.4 but my friends is 1.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.