Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2016 daisy-chaining

Hi guys

I have just received my brand new macbook pro late 2016 model with the Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB external- and

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB onboard graphics.

What i'm trying to do is to daisy-chain my two Dell U2717D Display's so that i will end up with a total of 3 monitors. I cant figure out why it is not working, so i hope that you can help me out.

My setup:

Macbook Pro 2016 (monitor 1) is connected to Dell U2717D (monitor 2) through a usb-c to displayport cable. From the Dell U2717D (monitor 2) we have a connection to the Dell U2717D (monitor 3) through a displayport to displayport cable. The monitors are therefore daisy-chained. MST is enabled on the dell screens.

Outcome:

Monitor 2 is extending monitor 1 which is what we want. But monitor 3 is mirroring monitor 2 instead of extending. If i go to display preferences i can only see 2 displays. 1 built-in and one Dell U2717D (monitor 2).

I have installed windows on a bootcamp partition and if i boot in windows everything works perfectly. This leads me to believe that the issue is NOT hardware related.

Does anybody know whether there are issues with Mac OS X Sierra and daisy chaining?

Oh, and i tried calling Apple support. Talked with them for more than 1 hour without any use full outcome.

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 1:55 PM

I have tried and tried to find the answer to this also. I came across a forum chat where there was chatter that Apple secretly removed MST support. I hope this is wrong and maybe there can be a return to daisychaining non-mac monitors.

11 replies

Jan 10, 2017 10:50 PM in response to nicolas8329

OP,

I've also tried; I have a Dell UP2516D (monitor 2), Dell UZ2315H (monitor 3), and same late 2016 macbook pro (monitor 1) as you.

I have to reduce the resolution on the UP2516D to 720p to get the UZ2315H display to work, and only then the two Dell monitors displays are mirrored.

For now, I'm using two thunderbolt 3 ports, each with a display adapter cable so I can use both monitors at their optimal resolution; but, like you I would rather just use Display Port MST daisy chaining functionality to get back one thunderbolt 3 port and reduce cable clutter.

Hopefully Apple is listening and will support MST daisy chaining in MacOS as it appears to be an OS limitation at this point.

Feb 5, 2017 9:00 AM in response to nicolas8329

Is anyone from Apple listening here? I just bought a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and several DisplayPort-DisplayPort cables to daisy-chain three Dell U2415 monitors to my 2016 Macbook Pro. It doesn't work - I get mirroring instead of an extended desktop.

This is a software, not hardware problem, as others have reported it works in Windows BootCamp.

When's the fix coming, please Apple?

MBP 2016 daisy-chaining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.