Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I give a group text a name?

I have to send a group text out & I'd like to give the group a name. I've done this in the past but when I tried to do it today I could find no option to "name" the group. Was this option removed in a recent iOS update?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 11:35 AM

Hello MrsMaunty,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. The good news is the following steps will be helpful in naming your group message:

User uploaded file

Name your group conversation

Have multiple group iMessages? Name your group iMessages so they're easier to find.

Name your group:

1. Tap a group conversation, then tap User uploaded file.
  2. Tap Enter a Group Name.
  3. Enter a name, then tap Done.
Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2017 11:35 AM in response to MrsMaunty

Hello MrsMaunty,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. The good news is the following steps will be helpful in naming your group message:

User uploaded file

Name your group conversation

Have multiple group iMessages? Name your group iMessages so they're easier to find.

Name your group:

1. Tap a group conversation, then tap User uploaded file.
  2. Tap Enter a Group Name.
  3. Enter a name, then tap Done.
Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2017 12:22 PM in response to MrsMaunty

Thanks for replying, MrsMaunty, and that additional info, it really helps! After looking at Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch it does appear that only group iMessage conversations can be renamed, so if there is an Android phone in the group, that makes it a group MMS conversation:

Group MMS

These messages appear in green text bubbles and go through your carrier instead of Apple. In a group MMS, everyone can:

• Send and receive photos and videos
  • See all responses from the group
  • Mute notifications

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Jan 4, 2017 11:47 AM in response to chris_g1

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your reply. The problem is I have 14 people in this group text. When I tap the "i" info circle, "Name Group" doesn't even appear anywhere. I've done it before but don't know why it isn't even an option with this particular conversation group. Is it bc maybe someone in group uses an Android phone?

Thanks!

Mrs. M

May 30, 2017 3:48 PM in response to DargarWhiteFang

DargarWhiteFang wrote:

I do not understand why the sending devices would matter/prevent Apple from organizing text in a certain way.

It is terribly inconvinient and makes little sense. I hope Apple can be bothered to fix this.

Because there is no ability to name an SMS/MMS, only the iMessage. Since a non-iOS device cannot send/receive an iMessage, group messages that contain non-iOS devices are handled as MMS, thus the inability to name.

Jun 22, 2017 8:38 AM in response to teolucst

teolucst wrote:

Makes you want to leave Apple products. At the same time you can use WHATsAPP and create groups for any devices used by your friends or family.

Thank you for that. You can do whatever you wish. Use whatever works best for you. If you don't wish to use iMessage or Messages, go ahead and use WhatsApp. However remember, everyone you wish to send a message to with WhatsApp has to have that application, whereas everyone already has texting native on their devices.

How do I give a group text a name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.