Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Connecting to Large TV Display

I have the latest TouchBar MacBook Pro 15" and when I connect to a 70" Vizio display via the USB-C multi-port adapter, nothing shows on the screen. I have no issues when connecting to my 23" desktop display or my 32" TV display in my office. I have tested the HDMI cables as my old MacBook works just fine as well as a number of my colleagues, both older Macs and Windows PCs.

I've reset the NVRAM and SMC and called Apple as well but no dice. Anyone with similar issues and/or recommendations? Any will be greatly appreciated.

macOS Sierra

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 12:58 PM

Here! Lets try This! (Probably won't work - but let's give it a shot)

1. Navigate to System Preferences

User uploaded file

2. Locate "Displays"

User uploaded file

3. Click on the "Arrangement" Tab

User uploaded file

4. Click "Mirror Displays"

User uploaded file

At this point, your screen should go black, and reappear. Hopefully this time it worked! Hope this helps! Leave a "Helpful" - Thanks!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 12:58 PM in response to rjrobertson

Here! Lets try This! (Probably won't work - but let's give it a shot)

1. Navigate to System Preferences

User uploaded file

2. Locate "Displays"

User uploaded file

3. Click on the "Arrangement" Tab

User uploaded file

4. Click "Mirror Displays"

User uploaded file

At this point, your screen should go black, and reappear. Hopefully this time it worked! Hope this helps! Leave a "Helpful" - Thanks!

Jan 3, 2017 1:16 PM in response to rjrobertson

Usually when connecting to an external display (desktop, tv screen) I have to adjust the display settings before the screen shows up. But it is possible that there may be another problem. First check if the USB-C port works fine. Often times, that does the trick! Test out the connection with another display. Next, consider that it may be the TV itself. Make sure that there is nothing wrong with the TV, and to test this, hook up your mac to another display to see if it works! From experience, my 43" Vizio Display does not always work when connected to my computer, so could that be the reason? If so, call the Vizio support team for help! - Thanks!

<Edited by Host>

Jan 3, 2017 1:12 PM in response to JavaOps

Arrangement tab is not present when connecting to this display. However, it is present when connecting to any other display. I know what you're thinking, it has to be the HMDI cable. I thought so too but all of my colleagues are able to connect to this display using their pre-Touch Bar Macs and Windows machines. Someone else did just receive a new Touch Bar Mac so we will test with his as well.

Trouble Connecting to Large TV Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.