Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

29.97 or 30 fps project for iOS videos?

Almost all my old and new footage is 25 fps because I live in a PAL country.

Unfortunately current mobile devices don't have built-in option to record video at 25 fps. So mixing footage from various devices on trips often skips every 5th frame due to the frame rate difference when going from 30 to 25 fps so the movements get jerky.

So now I have planned to set all my non-mobile devices (Canon 6D DSLR, DJI P3P drone etc) also to 29.97. I have read that although such devices might report 30 fps in their settings, it always really is 29.97 fps, correct?

QT Player and MPEG Streamclip report 29.97 fps for my current iOS devices' videos. On the other hand, FCP 10.2.3 somehow reports and auto-detects the same files as 30 fps.

Question: should I create FCP projects as 29.97 or 30 fps if I want to avoid most skipped or duplicated frames with footage from current iOS devices?

Or does it really matter? If not, I might just choose 30 fps as a nice round number...

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 1:17 PM

8 replies

Jan 3, 2017 10:30 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Matti Haveri wrote:

Unfortunately current mobile devices don't have built-in option to record video at 25 fps.

no…

actual screenshot from my iPhone, ok, utilising filmicPro 😉

User uploaded file

29.97 is antique standard from arial-broadcasting days; therefore interlaced <shiver>.

No, nowadays displays and delivery methods prefer integer frame-rates …

And no, 30fps isn't 29.97; in most cases '30' means 30p …

Very confusing topic, because some number counts fields (60i), some frames (25p), and then, total confusion, there's PSF … 🙂

no, go the root cause, teach your mobile 25 or 30 … avoid 29.97 and especially avoid interlace <shiver again> .........

Jan 4, 2017 8:18 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten!

I was aware about FiLMiC Pro -- that's why I mentioned built-in. Does it make the iOS device natively capture 25 fps or does it somehow convert it from 30 fps?

Anyway, on my recent trip we had 4 iPhones, 2 Android phones, 3 iPads and Canon 6D DSLR. I collected all footage and edited a 25 fps movie with FCP. The Canon 6D was the only device with 25 fps footage. Footage converted from mobile devices' 29.97/30 fps to 25 fps showed many uneven pans and movements because every 5th frame is dropped.

No way can I force every member on such a trip to use a non-built-in and a non-free application for video.

So at that point I had an idea to switch to 29.97/30 fps on all my devices. Yes, on the other hand that would make it suboptimal to mix my large old 25 fps archive to new 30 fps footage because then every 6th frame is duplicated (unless I use some clumsy frame blending, "Slow-PAL method" etc). BTW, some light sources might produce flicker if the Hz does not match with the frame rate although I haven't seen that with my iOS devices with 50Hz local lighting.

But I then wondered IF I make the switch, should I settle for 29.97 or 30 fps FCP projects. I don't want any extra generational loss from 29.97 <-> 30 fps frame rate conversions if I for some reason have to re-use and mix edited 29.97/30 footage to new 29.97/30 footage, if you get the idea. I don't think the question is purely academical because even with that tiny 0.03 frame/s difference there is a frame's worth of difference every 33 seconds (or does the difference affect only the timecode calculation and not the actual frames??). Boy does my brain hurt when I study the dirty secrets of NTSC, drop frame timecode etc.

That said, I think NTSC IS currently better than PAL because the peripheral vision notices more flicker on white areas with 50i TVs compared to 60i (HD and 4K cured NTSC TV's poor color and resolution). And it is easier to convert 24 fps film to 30 fps (and just perfect to 120 Hz TVs) than to 25 fps (if you want to keep the audio at normal speed).

Some respectable sources claim that only animation is 30 fps, and all other devices are really 29.97 fps although they report it as 30 fps.

Is that all the 30p HD are truly 29.97p HD?

Jan 4, 2017 9:21 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Matti Haveri wrote:

Some respectable sources claim that only animation is 30 fps, and all other devices are really 29.97 fps although they report it as 30 fps.

wow, who am I to contradict sensei Tom 😉

but…

(the following is all btmk, and I don't want to ignite a 'who has he better links'-contest)

29.97 is for interlaced. You frequently read that as '60i' - 60 fields. Almost sixty…

30 is for progressive; and I don't know, how Tom deduces that 'none' camera shoots 30p, but 'secretly' 29.97 (I or p) And outside US, the story is different again: ALL cams, I used and using shoot 50i or 25p or 50p - and 25 as 25, not 50i. Manufacturers as Panasonic explicitly declare in their tech-note 'sensor read out by 25/50fps' …

Back to your recording session - bad news first:

iPhones deliver out-of-the-box 'anything' but just sometimes 25/30fps!

That's because, they don't own an aperture nor a gain (aka 'ISO'), so under low light conditions, poor Phony can adjust exposure only via shutter-speed => which effects frame-rate, when you reach <1/50th res. <1/60th sec.

In tools like MediaHud you can dramatically watch 'variable frame rates' resulting into '20.73 fps' or wotever - which makes FCPX some hiccups (consumer toy iMovie is more tolerant…)

In some of my projects, I crudely mix all sorts of frame rates – never noticed a 'dropping every nth frame'-cadence, but my cold stiff eyes 😉 … what I notice is stutter, when using too high shutter speeds. Or when panning like using a vac cleaner LOL

Last word about interlaced: only tube-based displays can playback I-footage (=based upon afterglow); ANY modern flat-screen (plasma, led, oled) needs tons of sophisticated electronics to 'calculate' the frame out of interlaced video - flatscreens have no 'fields'. So why recording in i anyhow?

Last word about flicker: lately recorded in an exhibition, they used LED-lights = creates inch-wide lines when you set exposure too fast! So, 30fps vs 50Hz AC is less the problem than those energy-saving but too fast 'blinking' modern lights …

tl;dr:

if your Canon allows only 25p, keep that as standard. Set phones to 25 if optional, avoid low light situations, avoid high angular speeds (subject or camera) in bright light situations. Consider rate-conforming if you notice lost-frame-cadences. Consider 3rd party tools to force phones to constant frame rates .

… btw: there are 'hacks' to switch European cameras to US, offering then 30fps - but what you said about 50HZ-lights…

…. best to my knowledge, pretty sure, I'll stand corrected in a minute 😉

And if you want more brain-hurt - odd 29.97fps vs integer 44.oooHz audio-samplerate (known as audio-shift in longer takes)? And what about 23.98fps aka '24'? UHD is 60fps … sometimes 48fps, AC is 50. -

keep it simple, 25p, 30p. if drops noticeable, conform. done.

Jan 4, 2017 10:55 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks for the reply. I'm convinced to stay at 25 fps and maybe force iOS devices to 25 fps, if possible. Our "main" camcorder Canon 6D has a setting for PAL/NTSC and the very mobile DJI P3P has 25/30/50/60 fps.

I knew that older iPhones had variable frame rates but I believed/hoped new devices were more strict.

I have a ton of old PAL DV material (neatly archived as max 9 min 28 sec .dv files on a few HDs) and mixing them with new 25 fps footage is nicer than unnecessarily bringing 30 fps to the mix.

Jan 5, 2017 12:20 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I tried FCP's Floor/Nearest Neighbor/Frame Blending/Optical Flow fps conversions but I liked Automatic Speed the best because it keeps all the original frames intact and tweaks the frame rate +1.2/-0.83x when converting 25/30 fps.

This causes some distortion to the audio, though.

So I think I will continue with 25 fps and try to remember to render 29.97/30 fps footage in the project with Automatic Speed and tolerate the audio.

If the audio is more important, I will tolerate video hiccups.

p.s. FiLMiC Pro seems very nice and I will use it for my own iOS footage.

29.97 or 30 fps project for iOS videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.