Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme VLan

I have a fibre internet connection and my ONT (Optical Network Terminal) requires the router to support VLan, I have done some research online and have came to the conclusion that there will be no way to get my AirPort Extreme to work with my ONT, Is there any device that will go between the AirPort Extreme and the ONT that will handle the VLan.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 4:41 PM

Sure.. any router that your ISP supports or recommends.

You can plug the Extreme into whatever router you buy and use it for Wireless Access Point.

Apple have not considered life in Fibre setups and the airport is unsuitable even without needing vlan.. it is without basic abilities to configure as per any normal domestic router. So it only suits typical cable or bridge setup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 4:41 PM in response to cfcallum

Sure.. any router that your ISP supports or recommends.

You can plug the Extreme into whatever router you buy and use it for Wireless Access Point.

Apple have not considered life in Fibre setups and the airport is unsuitable even without needing vlan.. it is without basic abilities to configure as per any normal domestic router. So it only suits typical cable or bridge setup.

Jan 3, 2017 9:32 PM in response to cfcallum

What features / functions do you want the AirPort Extreme to perform?

For example, all routing is turned off when the AirPort is in Bridge Mode, so it is normal that the AirPort will lose some features / functions that it can perform when it is set up as a DHCP and NAT router.

If you are asking about the Guest Network feature on the AirPort, this feature only will work correctly when the AirPort is set up as a DHCP and NAT router.

The AirPort Extreme is simply not designed to work with VLAN from another router, if that might be what you are asking about.

Jan 3, 2017 9:35 PM in response to cfcallum

There is a half-way house..

I use this myself.. It is relatively simple to setup. If you need help give me the numbers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

But exactly as Bob posted.. without using DHCP and NAT you still cannot use guest wireless.

For most people in this situation we recommend using wireless on your main router as guest.

AirPort Extreme VLan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.