Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i change my Mail password

The product is Apple Mail version 9.3 (3124)

I would like to change my password and can't find anywhere to change it.

I have gone into Mail Preferences and see nowhere to change a password

I have gone into Mail Accounts and there is nowhere to change the password

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 11:33 PM

The correct way to change the password for web mail is sign in web browser say safari , if you are using gmail , yahoo or any it will prompt to enter the previous password , don't fill up the password field , click on Forget & uncheck the box of don't remember , follow the upcoming steps , you must also create a rescue mail lastly click on save .

Note : if you are using IMAP account , it is an mail application that is just configured with YOUR WEB MAIL , passwords are saved on their servers .

You are just connected to the servers so if the user is changing from mail application whats the use of saving the passwords on their servers ( passwords are in encrypted form for the security reason ) .

Once you have changed the password it will be automatically set up in mail preferences > account information > password .

Do an experiment : change password if it shows four dots , then again make a new lengthy password and change it will show more than four dots . You can compare that what you saved on the web mail will reflect in your IMAP account , but it will be always be encrypted as original password is with you , that must be written in a safe place .

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 11:33 PM in response to apsupbat1

The correct way to change the password for web mail is sign in web browser say safari , if you are using gmail , yahoo or any it will prompt to enter the previous password , don't fill up the password field , click on Forget & uncheck the box of don't remember , follow the upcoming steps , you must also create a rescue mail lastly click on save .

Note : if you are using IMAP account , it is an mail application that is just configured with YOUR WEB MAIL , passwords are saved on their servers .

You are just connected to the servers so if the user is changing from mail application whats the use of saving the passwords on their servers ( passwords are in encrypted form for the security reason ) .

Once you have changed the password it will be automatically set up in mail preferences > account information > password .

Do an experiment : change password if it shows four dots , then again make a new lengthy password and change it will show more than four dots . You can compare that what you saved on the web mail will reflect in your IMAP account , but it will be always be encrypted as original password is with you , that must be written in a safe place .

Jan 3, 2017 10:40 PM in response to apsupbat1

I'm running an older version of mail on 10.10.5.

The mail app provides access to your mail account. You need to use the password you set up with your account. In the mail app you give the correct password for the account. As such, it is only correct or incorrect. You can change the password in mail to make it correct.

To change the actual account password, you need to login to your account from a web browser such as Safari. You account should have some way of changing the account password.

Here is how you make a change to correct the password so that you may receive your mail.

Mail > preferences.

User uploaded file

how do i change my Mail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.