Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi internet really slow only on iMac

I've had this problem for a while and my iMac has been in 2 different locations in my house.

The internet speed is really slow - 1mbps at best, even though the signal bar is showing full!

If i put my iPhone, iPad or macbook in the same place i get 40+mbps!!

So for some reason my iMac is running so much slower than all other apple products and virtually unusable. My software is fully up to date on OS X 10.7.5

Has anyone got any idea what is causing this and how i can finally solve this annoying and frustrating problem?

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 2:04 AM

6 replies

Aug 18, 2017 10:38 AM in response to antimation

Check the software on your MODEM/router to make sure there are no settings retarding your Wifi or data connection.

Remember, if anyone else is using the same Wifi network at the same time, your connection speeds can decrease.

Ditto for anyone using your ISP service at the same times you do.

Heavier traffic on an ISP service can, also, degrade your Internet data speeds further.

Make sure you have no settings on your Mac that is preventing full wireless data throughput.

If you installed antivirus software on your Mac, it is not needed on the Mac OS and should be properly uninstalled per the Antivirus developers instructions.

Make sure you don't have any background Internet hogging activities going on.

Something like Google Drive and Google Chrome, for a good example, are both heavy Mac hardware/software/Internet resource hogs.

Good Luck to You!

Wifi internet really slow only on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.