Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scratch right out of the box on Macbook Pro 15" with TouchBar (late 2016)

I just yesterday got a new MacBook Pro 15" late 2016 with the Touch Bar and upon unboxing noticed a light scratch just below the speakers on both sides, the left side is much bigger but the right side has a small scratch as well. In the right light you don't even see the scratch. I did notice on macroumers.com there are several people reporting the same scratch in the same location. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their MacBook and if so how it was resolved. I currently have an open case with Apple and I am waiting to hear back how this will be resolved, so far it has been very positive from them and they are trying to come up with a replacement solution. The box was sealed and the plastic wrap was intact, and no damage to the box at all. I am thinking this is possibly happening during production due to seeing how other people are reporting the same problem. Maybe a bad batch of serial numbers?
User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 3:05 PM

7 replies

Jan 4, 2017 5:51 PM in response to seventy one

Thank you for your response, I should have put in the original message I ordered it online from adoroma.com, but their answer is that because there was no damage to the sealed apple packaging I have to take it up with Apple. Apple is working with adorama to come up with a solution.

That's the sucky part about buying online, you cannot inspect it before u walk away. But will prob always buy in store from this point toward.

Jan 4, 2017 5:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

I tried that immediately, I was amazed actually it didn't come out, because I had just taken it out of the box so thought immediately it must have been a smudge. When i googled it I was supprised to see that other people had the same scratch in the same location. Just looking for people on here to inspect their computers and see if they have the same thing. I purchased from Adorama.com an authorized retailer so I am battening with Apple and Adorma to figure this all out. Thank you for your response though

Jun 4, 2017 6:19 PM in response to SIMONAJ

I received my new 15" MacBook pro in mid-january with the exact same scratch on it. I actually thought the photo you posted was one that I had taken.

I immediately returned it (ordered via apple.com) and the replacement arrived a week later. Same EXACT scratch in the same location. I actually asked them to check the serial number of the replacement to make sure they didn't just send back the same computer. They didn't, it was a 2nd computer with the exact same issue. Immediately returned it again.

Third computer was fine. But I will say, this version of the MacBook Pro seems to be even more prone to scratches/dents than previous versions.

Jun 4, 2017 6:27 PM in response to SIMONAJ

SIMONAJ wrote:

I am thinking this is possibly happening during production due to seeing how other people are reporting the same problem. Maybe a bad batch of serial numbers?

Looks more like a blemish to me, not a scratch. I see it as a non-issue really, unless it affects the performance of your machine. It is not a perfect world 😉

Scratch right out of the box on Macbook Pro 15" with TouchBar (late 2016)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.