Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove iMessages on iPad ONLY

how do i delete all messages off of my ipad while keeping them all on my iphone?

I have a 16gb iPad and 128gb iPhone. I want to keep all my texts and pictures in iMessage on my phone but I desperately need the space on my iPad. I tried simply turning off iMessages on my iPad but I am still not getting the space (4gb) cleared that iMessage is currently using on my iPad.

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 10:26 PM

You don't want to turn off iMessage, you want to go to Messages>Send & Receive, and sign out of your Apple ID there.

Then check your iPad Storage to ensure that the data from those messages has been deleted: Settings>General>iPhone Storage>Messages. If you see a list of items (Conversations, Photos, Videos, GIFs & Stickers, and Other), and you see that they are still showing that they are taking up storage, tap on each one, then tap on Edit to delete whatever you wish to delete.

Cheers,

GB

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 10:26 PM in response to laneryGirl

You don't want to turn off iMessage, you want to go to Messages>Send & Receive, and sign out of your Apple ID there.

Then check your iPad Storage to ensure that the data from those messages has been deleted: Settings>General>iPhone Storage>Messages. If you see a list of items (Conversations, Photos, Videos, GIFs & Stickers, and Other), and you see that they are still showing that they are taking up storage, tap on each one, then tap on Edit to delete whatever you wish to delete.

Cheers,

GB

Jan 4, 2017 10:01 PM in response to AndyLatham

OK, so what iOS are you running?

And do you still have a list of messages showing? If so, try turning on iMessage again in Settings (but don't sign in), and see if it will let you delete them. You can also try closing the Messages app by double-clicking the Home key and then swiping up on the Messages thumbnail.

Then open it again and see if it will let you delete them.

If it doesn't, then sign back in to Messages, delete the messages remaining in your Messages app, and then sign back out again.

Cheers,

GB

Jan 4, 2017 10:03 PM in response to gail from maine

Well, based on that screenshot, it doesn't look like you had any actual messages remaining in your app on your iPad. Had you already deleted them?

If you did, then after closing the app as instructed above, if the memory consumption does not go down, then reset the device (nothing will be lost): Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the Lock screen displays, check to see if your storage has been recovered.

Cheers,

GB

Remove iMessages on iPad ONLY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.