Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely

I need this issue fixed urgently

After updating to macOS Sierra 12.2.1, I cannot login to my MacBook Pro. This is extremely worrying and frustrating.

It boots fine, but when I try to login, the bar doesn't move at all, and after about 10 seconds, the laptop shuts down completely. I can boot both my Bootcamp partition and Recovery mode just fine, but never can I log into the macOS partition. I have tried using fsck in single user mode, but this resulted in the error message **The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.

As you could imagine I am very stressed out about losing my 500gb of data I have stored on the laptop in question, and I would appreciate some help.

Here are my machine's specs;

- MacBook Pro (2015)

- 8GB RAM

- 500GB Storage

- Retina display

It also has bootcamp running windows 10 if that makes any difference

Please help!

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 12:12 PM

I recommend that you do this:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Sierra

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.
  6. Download and Install macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Combo Update.

If the above cannot fix the problem, then the drive may need replacing. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2017 12:12 PM in response to JoelBrevo063

I recommend that you do this:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Sierra

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.
  6. Download and Install macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Combo Update.

If the above cannot fix the problem, then the drive may need replacing. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Jan 5, 2017 12:26 PM in response to JoelBrevo063

The first error simply lets you know that you need to re-download from the Purchases page of Mac App Store.

Select the grayed out entry, then click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Repair the disk. Does this work for you? You might consider either reinstalling OS X or doing an Erase and Install:

Reinstall El Capitan or Sierra Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up if you can.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. If First Aid fails or returns errors let us know what they are. If it reports the drive cannot be repaired or returns a failed I/O error, that usually means the drive should be replaced. Do not proceed.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Install El Capitan or Sierra from Scratch

Backup if possible before continuing.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Jan 5, 2017 12:17 PM in response to Kappy

I was having the issue where I couldn't log in for a while, but every other time I would just boot in Recovery mode, repair the disks and I could login again, but that is no longer working. I've tried reinstalling macOS from the recovery menu but I get the error "macOS Sierra failed to download. Please use purchases page to try again." Also, Macintosh HD on the repair disk menu is greyed out and when I try to repair it it fails

The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.