Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Sign-in Location Wrong

I have 2 step authentication on Apple ID. When I sign into iTunes, App store, Mail, or other Apple apps that require Apple ID using my ID/password, I receive a message saying someone is signing into Apple ID from "near Dearborn Michigan". Problem is I am signing in near Austin Texas. I have to accept to receive the 6 number code to put in as the 2nd step to get into account. I get in but this is not cool. It happens on all my Apple devices with Apple ID since I changed to 2 step authentication.

Does anyone know what things may be causing the wrong location for me when I sign into Apple ID and have ideas what to do to fix it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Memory 16 GB

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 6:59 AM

Hi. The location is estimated from your internet IP address. This can be misleading if you're on a corporate network, VPN, or other similar system. It could happen on a regular ISP connection if they've reassigned some of their equipment.

12 replies

Jan 29, 2017 7:22 AM in response to Sunsetdude

The same exact thing just happened to us. We're in Austin, and recently signed up for two-factor authentication.

Last night I temporarily signed into one Apple ID on our iPad to download an app, and when I signed back into the other, my significant other received an iPhone message saying someone was trying to sign into the iPad in Dearborn, Mich.

We were using Wi-Fi through Google Fiber. What about you,

Sunsetdude?

May 13, 2017 1:22 PM in response to Sunsetdude

None of this has worked for me so far. Changed password. Signed in and out of iCloud so maybe it will update eventually. Keeps telling me I'm in Philadelphia, but I'm in Virginia? No vpn. I do have Adblock plus and Adguard. Turning them off as well now. Is there another way to block people invading privacy other then changing passwords? Thank you

May 25, 2017 4:50 PM in response to Sunsetdude

Same here. Every time I enter in an Apple ID on any of our devices I the two factor authentication shows the device in Michigan. Nothing has helped to resolve this.

On the other hand if I look at any of my device location using "Find my Iphone". The map locations for my devices are all correct.

Me thinks this is a two factor authentication screw up.

Apple ID Sign-in Location Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.