Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant thinks (incorrectly) I'm trying to install windows 10 instead of 7

I'm trying to install windows 7 on my 2011 iMac using Boot Camp assistant. I have the latest windows support software downloaded and loaded onto my flash drive, and I have a windows 7 install disc in the optical drive. When I try to start the install, I get a window that pops up and says "windows 10 is not supported on this mac. Please use a DVD or USB drive which contains Windows 7 or Windows 8." But I have a windows 7 disc inserted. I even downloaded a Windows 8.1 ISO from microsoft and tried installing with that and got the same error message. I know windows 10 isn't supported because the iMac is too old, but I'm not sure why it can't install windows 7. I also just upgraded to Sierra (10.12.2). Thanks for any help!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 11:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't realize that was an option! I attempted to do this and it looked like it would have worked, but due to some unrelated problems it didn't for me (I had issues partitioning the drive). It eventually worked using boot camp though (looks like it was some kind of glitch). So in case anyone else comes across this problem, here's what fixed it:

When I initially tried installing through boot camp, I got to the window with two check boxes, one for downloading windows support, the other for installing windows 7 or 8. I downloaded the windows support, and that check box automatically unchecked itself. I clicked "next" (or "continue" or whatever) to install, but at this point I didn't have the windows 7 install disc inserted. An error window popped up saying I needed to insert the disc, which I did. When I hit next again, I got the error window saying I couldn't install windows 10. I tried restarting and running boot camp again, but when I did that I didn't have the download windows support box checked (since I'd already downloaded it). I clicked next to install it and got the same error about windows 10. After trying the manual installation of windows 7 like Loner T suggested and running into problems, I wound up trying boot camp once more. This time I left the download windows support checked, let it download, had the disc inserted the whole time, and when I clicked next this time, it actually worked for some bizarre reason! I didn't try it, but I imagine this would also work with windows 8.1 since it looked like it was the same problem. So in short, I think it would have worked from the start if I had both boxes checked and the disc inserted when I began.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't realize that was an option! I attempted to do this and it looked like it would have worked, but due to some unrelated problems it didn't for me (I had issues partitioning the drive). It eventually worked using boot camp though (looks like it was some kind of glitch). So in case anyone else comes across this problem, here's what fixed it:

When I initially tried installing through boot camp, I got to the window with two check boxes, one for downloading windows support, the other for installing windows 7 or 8. I downloaded the windows support, and that check box automatically unchecked itself. I clicked "next" (or "continue" or whatever) to install, but at this point I didn't have the windows 7 install disc inserted. An error window popped up saying I needed to insert the disc, which I did. When I hit next again, I got the error window saying I couldn't install windows 10. I tried restarting and running boot camp again, but when I did that I didn't have the download windows support box checked (since I'd already downloaded it). I clicked next to install it and got the same error about windows 10. After trying the manual installation of windows 7 like Loner T suggested and running into problems, I wound up trying boot camp once more. This time I left the download windows support checked, let it download, had the disc inserted the whole time, and when I clicked next this time, it actually worked for some bizarre reason! I didn't try it, but I imagine this would also work with windows 8.1 since it looked like it was the same problem. So in short, I think it would have worked from the start if I had both boxes checked and the disc inserted when I began.

Jul 3, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Running a mid-2011 iMac with Sierra (10.12.5), Windows 64-bit installer disc. I unchecked the support software download box and checked the install Windows 7 box and I had the same error - that it couldn't install Windows 10. I had the disc inserted the entire time. When I went back and checked both boxes it then worked just fine.

Perhaps this is a bug.

Thanks.

Aug 13, 2017 10:21 AM in response to itunesbabs

I see the same problem, but one more: Even after restarting the macbook with the DVD with win7 on it inserted, I first got, after downloading the requested support data, a message that a DVD was not found. Hitting the "continue-button" again, the commonly known prompt showed up saying that "windows 10 is not supported" although there was no win 10 DVD inserted, but a win 7 DVD. I tried this many times and nothing helped. Any further suggestions?

Aug 14, 2017 3:10 AM in response to Loner T

Here it is:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Primary 499.2 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS Primary +498.9 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

A12DFC6B-B280-4892-8ACD-FF445F617870

Unlocked Encrypted

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):

0: Apple_partition_scheme *3.3 GB disk2

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS GRMCPRXFRER_DE_DVD 3.3 GB disk2s2

/dev/disk4 (disk image):

0: Boot Camp +1.4 GB disk4

Sep 10, 2017 5:43 AM in response to Loner T

I have MacBook Pro 2011 late and I install win7 and upgrade it to win 10 (it's not supported for win10), but will that affect the machine or software any way?, coz I had problem in my hard drive so I format it and re-install OS X 10.12.6 and when entering bootcamp it says win10 not supported for win7 DVD!!, but do check for two options of bootcamp and hit next it works correctly but when he restart the Mac it shows black page and I stuck in it, what can I do?!! please help me and answer.

also I tried different ways, re-installing old versions of OS X and try to install will usb, iso,xcode,DVD...etc but still not working, what I have to do?!, I tried also virtual installation but it's to slow, I want it as separated partition.

Sep 12, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Loner T

ok bro.

johns-MacBook-Pro:~ johndon37$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX 749.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk2

0: WINAIO *8.2 GB disk2

any suggestion?😢

bro. i got an idea if i try to put my hard drive into another mac and try using bootcamp, could that work?!

Sep 13, 2017 12:19 PM in response to Loner T

hi bro.

i don't have any problems with win7 & 10 DVDs, actually i install win 7 and upgrade it to win 10 in the first time i use this laptop, also when i upgrade to win 10 i made lots of mistakes so i re-install it more than one time in the laptop and nothing happened, all functions was working correctly and i didn't get any band because of not supported software, after i finish the process of installation correctly win10 partition and OS X partition was working perfectly and smoothly i didn't face any problems; but before three weeks from now the laptop dropped from my hand and it does contact with ground, i check all of the hard hardware and everything is working perfectly only hard drive is damaged so i formatted and reinstall OS X 10.7.2,10.10,10.11,10.12.6 and no one of them makes me install win7, i also tried to connect my hard drive to another PC and enter windows boot and i do fully format for all partition even recovery partition and i delete them so they became un-allocated and try again and nothing happened, i change the hard drive twice and i try again and again without any hope, it restarts and doesn't enter into the windows boot.

i must mention that my super drive is died around one year, so i by an external DVD driver, could it be the problem?!!, but i used the external one before i fall the laptop and it was working!.

please, can i make direct contact with you like your Facebook or any thing, i hate the time difference and waiting, please bro., i need help i'm student and i need it very much😢

Sep 18, 2017 9:40 AM in response to Loner T

The programs that need to be used in this process just for limited time because i need to buy them after that.

actually now i realize whats the problem, it looks like the apple BIOS or something like that is upgraded to it's last version and this version doesn't allow to install win7, also when i try to delete the recovery partition to try installing old one, apple internet recovery starts and re-install the same apple bios and it doesn't allow to install windows, so i think i have two choices to install it as separated partition, one of them is to put my hard drive into another mac and only install windows without drivers (i can install the necessary drivers for my mac), the other way i don't know if it will work it's to connect my hard drive to other pc or laptop and install win7 and install OS X in another partition and re-connet the hard drive into the macbook, i'm not sure will the mac read the OS X partition? and if it do that will it read windows partition?

Sep 19, 2017 1:35 AM in response to johndon37

johndon37 wrote:

one of my friends has the same problem that i have, and he tried to connect his hard drive into another macbook and he use bootcamp to install the windows and the process completed without any problems but he didn't use the super drive he used his own external driver.😐

Can your 'friend' help you install Windows on your Mac? Does he have the same model as yours?

Boot Camp Assistant thinks (incorrectly) I'm trying to install windows 10 instead of 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.