Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error message api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing

I have been getting this message on my Lenovo windows desktop computer ever since I updated iTunes:

"api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing" Is this serious? How can I fix it?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM

Hi,

Please go to program files/itunes in your computer and check if there is 40 api-ms-win-********.dll files if it's not there then copy it from any other computer in which itunes is working and paste it to the affected computer.. the following is the screenshot of the files you need to look for User uploaded file

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM in response to Katya2013

Hi,

Please go to program files/itunes in your computer and check if there is 40 api-ms-win-********.dll files if it's not there then copy it from any other computer in which itunes is working and paste it to the affected computer.. the following is the screenshot of the files you need to look for User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2017 5:39 AM in response to Katya2013

A new one on me.

I see three copies of that file myself, in the following locations:

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services
  • C:\Program Files\iTunes

You could repair Apple Application Support or iTunes if the first or last are missing. I'm not sure which component is responsible for the Internet Services folder but it could be Apple Application Support too.

Otherwise for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 25, 2017 9:19 PM in response to Katya2013

This has happened to me twice in the past 15 months - always after an iTunes update. I don't know what causes it, maybe a bad update, but here is how I fixed it:

I was getting the message iTunes cannot start because api-ms-crt-"whatever".dll is missing.

Go to Program Files/Common Files/Apple/Applications Support and copy add the api-*** files and paste them to Program Files/ITunes.

That fixed the problem for me.

Apr 2, 2017 6:16 PM in response to Rktanwar

thank you so much! this worked for me perfectly!

1. go to https://support.microsoft.com/

2. search for 'update for universal c runtime in Windows'

3. i clicked here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime- in-windows

4. scroll down the page, find your version of windows

5. download the package

6. once it's downloaded, install it

7. restart your computer

itunes opened with no problems

Jul 24, 2017 9:58 AM in response to 1Madhumas@

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Right-click on the downloaded setup file and run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any anti-virus software.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 26, 2017 10:58 AM in response to normfarrin

The problem with that approach is that you will need to do it again every time one of those files is updated. Adding Apple Application Support to the system path would probably help with the DLL that haven't registered properly, but only if those are the only copies. I suspect a full tear down and rebuild, running the installer as the administrator, would be a good idea at some point.

tt2

Apr 9, 2017 11:47 PM in response to Katya2013

I tried all the options mentioned above but nothing worked out. I was at the verge of formatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows thinking error is with my OS.

But fortunately I could manage to get hold of an older version of iTunes and I installed it after removing updated latest version from my laptop. It works fine now.

Error is with the iTunes. v 12.6 specifically. Not in Windows

error message api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.