Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "redirect" Desktop folder

I noticed that network home folder do not work correctly is osx (see my post about the mail.app crash after sleep with networked home folders). As of 10.12 sync of home folders is also no longer supported.

I am know thinking of creating "mobile account" with certain folders redirected to the server. I will not redirect the base folder e.g "Documents" but create a "redirect" within that folder e.g "MyDocuments" that will link to a folder on the server. As far as I can tell redirecting the base folders opens a whole other can of problems.

Now to my question. I think this will work for the Document, Download etc... folders but not for the Desktop folder. Here I cannot work with the "subfolder redirect", because than your are not able to place a file on the "desktop". And as far as I know redirecting the Desktop folder is not possible.

Hence the question is it possible to have a setup that allows the user to save a file on the "desktop" and have this file stored (not replicated) on a server share.

The reason for this setup is keep what is stored loacally on the client to a bare minimum . I want all files to be stored on the server.

Thanks for your ideas

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 3:39 PM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2017 12:45 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan,

I haven't set it up. But I looked at the video and around second 56 he clearly says that this option will sync your desktop folder to the cloud. Also the introduction text "...Macs and iOS devices. It syncs them effortlessly, so you essentially have the same Desktop and Documents folders on all of your Macs."

This means that if you save a 1GB file that file will occupy 1GB on your local harddisk (the desktop folder) and it will occupy 1GB on your cloud drive. Which is what you want when using a cloud service because you want access to your files when not connected to the internet. (The icloud sync service will ensure that once your connected to the internet the files are synced again).

However I want the "Desktop folder" only stored on the local server (all my clients always have access to this server).

Server has a feature that allows this it but there are some issue with that see my post on mail.app crashing after a sleep cycle and I am looking for a work around.

How to "redirect" Desktop folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.