Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Can't Turn On

Hi,

I have Mac Pro Late 2013 D300, shipped with Mavericks 10.9.5 and works fine without any problem for 2 years (i'm buying it at early 2015).

Two weeks ago, I update to El Capitan 10.11.5, the problem is it can not turn on after shutdown. Press power button, its dead, and only turn motion sensor light. Press power button for 10 second and more, nothing happen.

Can't solve with "standard" SMC Reset. The Mac Pro can turn ONLY if disconnect power cable for 15 minutes or more, then plug in, then wait for 15 second or more. When press power button, the motion sensor light is active.

If can turn on, i have trying to PRAM reset. It's not working.

Trying to clean install latest Sierra, the problem still there. I'm not trying back to 10.9.5. I'm not sure, this related to software/firmware or hardware. Bad news, it's not under warranty.

Now I never shutdown, just sleep, and sleep. No problem with wake after sleep mode.

Any suggestion? Software/firmware or hardware? Maybe power supply problem?

Thanks and really sorry about my English.

Mac Pro, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 10:26 PM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2017 12:05 PM in response to penyo

Greetings penyo,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like your Mac Pro will not turn on if you shut it down unless you wait 15 minutes or more. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

There are a few things listed you have not mentioned trying. Ignore the steps you have already completed.

If your Mac won't turn on and you have ruled out display issues, try these steps.

1. Verify that you have a good connection from your Mac to the wall outlet by confirming the power cord and adapter are securely connected and plugged in. To check if the wall outlet is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.
  2. If the wall outlet is working and you continue to have no power, try another power cord or adapter, if available. If you're using a Mac notebook, learn about troubleshooting MagSafe adapters, and leave the power adapter connected long enough to provide an adequate charge to the battery.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged in to your Mac. This includes things like printers, USB hubs, or mobile devices.
  4. Hold down the power button for ten seconds. Then press the power button again to see if the Mac turns on.
  5. Reset the SMC.
  6. If you recently installed memory or a drive in your Mac, make sure it's compatible and installed correctly. If possible, reinstall the original memory or drive to see if the issue persists.

If your Mac still won't start up after you've tried each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for further diagnosis.

If your Mac won't turn on
Take care.

Jan 10, 2017 5:43 AM in response to penyo

Hello penyo,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you have tried everything that is listed in that article. There is only one more thing listed in the article provided in the last reply left to try.

If your Mac still won't start up after you've tried each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for further diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar, if available in you country. Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

Take care.

Jan 10, 2017 2:13 AM in response to sterling r

Thanks for reply.

1. No problem with cable, wall outlet, etc. I already moved to other room with some different power outlet. Now my Mac Pro running for 3 days without shutdown. Just sleep and sleep....
  2. Its for portable
  3. I only have one thunderbold external disk. It's only used sometime. Its just Mac Pro with keyboard and magic mouse, with LAN connection, and hdmi monitor.
  4. I forget to tell you, i already trying this method several time.
  5. "Standard" Reset SMC not working like my post before.
  6. All hardware is original, no memory add/upgrade. Already check this memory and i think no problem.

Mac Pro Late 2013 Can't Turn On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.