Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I see my Apple TV multiple times for AirPlay (Screen Mirroring)?

Hi everybody,

I have an Apple TV (4th gen) and a MacBook, iPhone and iPad. They're all fully up to date (iOS 10.2, tvOS 10.1, macOS 10.12.2). On all devices when I try to use AirPlay for audio or screen mirroring, I see my Apple TV multiple times. Almost always I see it 2 times, sometimes 3 times and very rarely only once (which is what I would've expected).

Do you see the same behavior? Is there a fix for this strange behavior?

Thanks!

Jorik

P.S. I have already tried reseting my Apple TV and that didn't solve the problem. The Apple TV is connected via Ethernet. Here some screenshots, for my Mac, iPhone and iPad all showing the Apple TV twice, while I really only have 1 🙂.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 10.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 10:09 AM

Hi. This happens because your device has seen the name "Apple TV" with different IP addresses at different times. This may happen if you power off or restart the Apple TV and it receives a different IP from the router. Try restarting the router. If that doesn't work, Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Data on the iPhone.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2017 10:09 AM in response to jorik

Hi. This happens because your device has seen the name "Apple TV" with different IP addresses at different times. This may happen if you power off or restart the Apple TV and it receives a different IP from the router. Try restarting the router. If that doesn't work, Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Data on the iPhone.

Jan 8, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's weird I've tried all your suggestions:

- restarted router

- reserved my Apple TV a "fixed" IP in the router, such that it won't be available on different IP's

- reset Network Data on my iPhone and iPad

I actually started with changing the name of my Apple TV to "Apple TV (WK)".

When I look now it shows

Apple TV (2)

and

Apple TV (WK)

The only explanation that I have left right now, is that another Apple TV is close to me? Could it be that my devices are finding an Apple TV from a neighbor that is not on my wifi network? Maybe it can find it via Bluetooth? I live in an apartment building, so a neighbor's Apple TV could be close enough that it's within Bluetooth range...

If I diagnose the Bonjour services on my network (I use the Net Analyzer App on my iPad for that), it only shows a single Apple TV (with WK) for the _airplay._tcp. service.

Similarly if I run the following dns-sd command from the Terminal, I only see this:

Joriks-MacBook:~ jorik$ dns-sd -B _airplay._tcp

Browsing for _airplay._tcp

DATE: ---Sun 08 Jan 2017---

19:05:32.628 ...STARTING...

Timestamp A/R Flags if Domain Service Type Instance Name

19:05:32.629 Add 2 4 local. _airplay._tcp. Apple TV (WK)

Thanks,

Jorik

Jan 8, 2017 11:12 AM in response to jorik

If Bluetooth is enabled on your iPad, you can see nearby Apple TVs using peer-to-peer AirPlay. It uses BT for discovery, and a separate WiFi channel for a point-to-point data link. It's meant to be a handy way for guests to AirPlay without joining a network. But there've been several reports of unintended links through walls. However, I suspect you're just seeing a leftover vestige of your own Apple TV. I really don't know how to make your device forget it. Have you tried restarting the devices (power off, then back on)?

Jan 8, 2017 11:45 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks, a power off/on didn't help either unfortunately. The following info may also be relevant:

If I disable wifi and bluetooth, there is no AirPlay device to be seen as expected, but when I enable Wifi/Bluetooth Apple TV (2) is shown again, but typically a bit later than my actual Apple TV (the one with WK).

When I power off my Apple TV, the one with (WK) was immediately removed from the list of all 3 devices. But the (2) was still there.

Also I have 1 older Mac (a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro with Bluetooth 2.1), which doesn't support some newer macOS features, like AirPlay display and handover. This Mac does not see the Apple TV (2), but does see all other devices as expected.

Why do I see my Apple TV multiple times for AirPlay (Screen Mirroring)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.