Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is not moving rented movies across to other devices

iTunes is not moving rented movies across to other devices from the Mac. It doesn't matter what I try or what device I try to move it to, it will not move it across. In fact the move button even disappears at times. I do know I am able to download directly onto the iPad or iPhone however if I do that I am unable to move it to another device. I might start a movie on the mac and want to finish watching it on a iPad or iPhone etc.

I was sure I asked this question before and never got a reply, so I'm hoping this time someone might be able to help me. This is stopping me from renting any more movies unless I am able to get this fixed.

I did think it was because my iPad was a little old however the iPhone it a 6s plus and it still does not go across. iTunes is up t date and showing 12.5.4.42

Thank you

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2014

Posted on Jan 9, 2017 11:21 PM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2017 4:35 PM in response to Teddy_B

Yes Jameson.h I understand what you need to do and thank you for trying to help, however I can't get it across to the other device to sync in the first place. It is connected via USB but the move button will not move it to the other side to be able to have it on iPad or iPhone.

Some times I have the movie on the mac side and no button, sometimes I have half a movie and a button that doesn't work, sometimes I will have both there and still doesn't work.

I do understand that if you download onto any other device other than the mac it will not move to another. I only download onto the Mac so I am or should say use to be able to then move/sync it across to where ever I wanted. This is not happening any more and there just does not seem to be a solution.

A couple of days ago I downloaded a cheap movie to try once again to see if I could get it working, it still doesn't work and not only that it was on 25 days instead of 30 so 5 days removed from the rent from day 1. I have spent far to many hours, weeks and months on this and I am getting a little frustrated with iTunes.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jan 11, 2017 11:11 AM in response to MsSilk

Hello MsSilk,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you want to watch rented movies on different devices. ​I would recommend you read this article, it explains how rentals work with different devices.

Watch your movie rental on a different device

If you rented the movie on your Mac or PC, but want to watch it on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your Mac or PC, it disappears from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as often as you want, but you can have it on only one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

If you rented the movie on your Apple TV, you can watch it on other Apple TVs, however, you can only watch on one Apple TV at a time.

About renting movies from the iTunes Store
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Feb 13, 2017 4:49 PM in response to MsSilk

I had this issue today transferring a film rental from mac to iPad 2. The move button sometimes disappears, but you can fix this by resizing the width of the itunes window.
However, the move button does nothing for me when clicked. To work around this, I went to the rental in the films library and dragged it onto my device. It's now on the iPad 2 as expected.

Moving it back to the mac looks like another issue to solve, however I don't need to do that now, so I won't be going there...

Feb 14, 2017 9:33 PM in response to P_MOZZ

I downloaded another rented movie to see how your dragging across went, it worked after a little messing around. However iTunes has now already taken a full day off my 30 day rented time after just 10 minutes I am now 29 days.

I did try and see if we could get the movie back onto the Mac, no such luck though.

Seriously why can't Apple sort this out.

iTunes is not moving rented movies across to other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.