Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound at all on Apple TV 4

Hi,

So this morning I turn my apple TV on (it's connected to my Panasonic Viera TV), and I find out I have absolutely no sound. I tried other channels to see if the problem comes from my TV, but no, I only have the sound problem when watching my apple TV. So I change all the wiring, HDMI, channels, restart, reboot partially and then totally the apple TV, follows the instructions on the Apple website and forums, etc. No luck so far.

I now have tried several times to get Apple to call me, but I keep getting email saying they're trying to call me, but going straight to voicemail. I typed my number several times to get them to call me back, same thing - and my phone works perfectly well!

So, can anyone help me please? Thanks 🙂

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 1:44 PM

Greetings Kikrok,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you have no sound when using the Apple TV. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you hear static or don't hear any sound on your Apple TV

Get help with surround sound. For other issues, use these steps and check the audio after each step:

1. Unplug both ends of your HDMI cable. Then firmly plug them back in.
  2. Turn off your TV and receiver (if you use one). Unplug your Apple TV from power, then plug it back in. Turn your receiver and TV back on.
  3. Connect your Apple TV directly to your TV instead of using a receiver or HDMI switch, since the issue might be with your receiver or switch.
  4. On your Apple TV, select Settings > Audio & Video.
  5. Make sure Audio Out is set to Apple TV.
  6. Change the Audio Mode from Auto to 16 bit.
  7. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), change the Dolby Digital Out setting from On to Off.
  8. For distorted sound or audio-sync issues, you might need to turn off volume leveling or other audio-processing controls on your TV or receiver. Check the manual or call the manufacturer for help.

If you don't hear sound when you navigate the menu, choose Settings > Audio & Video. Then make sure that Sound Effects and Music is on.

Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV

If the issue still persists after all of this, another thing you can do is to restore the Apple TV using iTunes on a computer.
Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings
Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Kikrok

Greetings Kikrok,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you have no sound when using the Apple TV. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you hear static or don't hear any sound on your Apple TV

Get help with surround sound. For other issues, use these steps and check the audio after each step:

1. Unplug both ends of your HDMI cable. Then firmly plug them back in.
  2. Turn off your TV and receiver (if you use one). Unplug your Apple TV from power, then plug it back in. Turn your receiver and TV back on.
  3. Connect your Apple TV directly to your TV instead of using a receiver or HDMI switch, since the issue might be with your receiver or switch.
  4. On your Apple TV, select Settings > Audio & Video.
  5. Make sure Audio Out is set to Apple TV.
  6. Change the Audio Mode from Auto to 16 bit.
  7. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), change the Dolby Digital Out setting from On to Off.
  8. For distorted sound or audio-sync issues, you might need to turn off volume leveling or other audio-processing controls on your TV or receiver. Check the manual or call the manufacturer for help.

If you don't hear sound when you navigate the menu, choose Settings > Audio & Video. Then make sure that Sound Effects and Music is on.

Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV

If the issue still persists after all of this, another thing you can do is to restore the Apple TV using iTunes on a computer.
Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings
Take care.

No sound at all on Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.