Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP error in Apple TV

I have a Samsung Smart TV from 2014. No way it cannot work with Apple TV 4th generation!.

Basically

1. if I try to see a movie from the Netflix App -> it works perfect.

2. if I try to see a movie from the Apps Store -> it works perfect

3. If I mirror my MacBook Pro -> it works too.

The problem comes up when I try to play in the TV a movie I rented in iTunes. I mean, all what I did so far was to try and run the trailer of the films in iTunes and the screen becomes grey and I get the error message that the movie won't pay in one of the connected displays". the trailer plays perfect on the MacBook Pro display, it just does not on the Apple TV.

please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Apple TV 4th generation

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2017 9:39 AM

Hi. Using mirroring or extend the desktop is a very second-rate way of AirPlaying video, since it uses software in the graphics chip to create a H.264 live video stream, and sends that to Apple TV. This means the video is compressed (again), reducing sharpness and possibly dropping fast action. The AirPlay icon (up arrow into small rectangle) should appear in the controls line at the bottom of the on-screen video player. When you tap it and select your Apple TV, the player should go dark and say "This video is playing on Apple TV". In this mode, the Apple TV connects directly to the video stream, cutting out the middleman. The two modes are described here Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV - Apple Support.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2017 9:39 AM in response to capitan.pis

Hi. Using mirroring or extend the desktop is a very second-rate way of AirPlaying video, since it uses software in the graphics chip to create a H.264 live video stream, and sends that to Apple TV. This means the video is compressed (again), reducing sharpness and possibly dropping fast action. The AirPlay icon (up arrow into small rectangle) should appear in the controls line at the bottom of the on-screen video player. When you tap it and select your Apple TV, the player should go dark and say "This video is playing on Apple TV". In this mode, the Apple TV connects directly to the video stream, cutting out the middleman. The two modes are described here Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV - Apple Support.

Jan 11, 2017 1:56 PM in response to capitan.pis

Hi capitan.pis,

I understand you are receiving and HDCP alert only when playing a rented iTunes movie on your Apple TV. Here are the troubleshooting steps that I would recommend going through for this issue.

If you have video issues or see an HDCP alert

Get help with issues like blank or distorted screens, HDCP alerts, and color, tint, and brightness issues.

If you see issues like a blank, flickering, or static screen or an HDCP alert

1. Unplug both ends of your HDMI cable. Then firmly plug them back in.
  2. Turn off your TV and receiver. Unplug your Apple TV from power, then plug it back in. Turn your TV and receiver back on.
  3. In your TV menu, make sure that you select the HDMI input that matches the HDMI port connected to your Apple TV. Check your TV manual for help.
  4. Connect your Apple TV directly to your TV instead of your receiver or HDMI switch, since the issue might be with your receiver or switch.
  5. Try a different HDMI cable to see if your cable causes the issue.
  6. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Audio and Video and adjust the HDMI and display settings. Can’t go to Settings because of a blank screen? Then use your remote instead:
    • For Apple TV (4th generation), hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
    • For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), hold Menu and Up for 5 seconds. Then your Apple TV switches to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.

Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV

Please let us know if the issue persists, and thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Jan 12, 2017 11:46 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana, hi

In the iTunes bar I don't see the icon airplay as you described beside the volume bar as shown in the screenshot below). I don't know whether there is anything else I must do apart of what I do and explains why this icon is not present.

1. I open the iTunes applications

2. I select films and go to the Store

3. Look for a film, any film

4. Play the trailer

I don't see the Airplay icon

I suspect Apple blocks the ability to send to the TV the trailers of the films. Is it possible that you check at your end? I mean, do you mind testing if you are able to stream from iTunes to the Apple TV, if you have the icon, when playing a TRAILER? Thanks a lot !!

sorry again. User uploaded file

Jan 12, 2017 8:37 AM in response to jason269

Hi Jason,

Thank you. These were the first steps I did browsing the web for a solution.

1. Checked

2. Apple TV and TV turned off and on again (no receiver, connected directly to the TV)

3. It is easy to know that the HDMI is the correct one, otherwise you don't see the Apple TV User interface

4. This is how I am trying to use it, with no receiver but directly to one of the 4 available HDMI inputs in my TV set

5. Tried a standard HDMI cable first, then bought the original expensive Apple brand, Still no results

6. Adjusted in the Apple TV menu, nothing changes.

Jan 12, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana, hi

first, many thanks for your help!

Answers

1. I am using iTunes on the laptop (Mac Book Pro) and trying to AirPly the video to the Apple TV

2. Tried both, mirroring and extending the desktop. The desktop is clearly seen, the movie, not. (well, the trailer I have not tried the movie I rented yet).

3. I don't see (although I looked for it) any Airplay icon in the iTunes video player. I use the icon on the upper bar of the screen (where you see the wifi connection signal, the clock, the Spotlight icon etc). Where is the Icon in the iTunes? Maybe I should try that,

4. the Movies App on the Apple TV works perfectly!

Thanks again for your help. Looking forward to having another reply from you on my questions 🙂

Feb 13, 2018 5:54 AM in response to capitan.pis

Had the same situation. Very frustrated. Didnt work even if I chose SD version. Apple should not force me change 4K HDCP TV. At least they should put a note on those contents that require HDCP so I dont waste money buying or renting then found that it doesn't play. I've rented or bought some 4K movies without problems, so I have no clue what works and what doesn't.

HDCP error in Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.