Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback skips/jumps in iTunes 12.5.4.42

Ever since upgrading iTunes to version 12.5.4.42, I've been having trouble with some tracks not playing back properly. What happens is that the song in question will be playing normally, then a few minutes in will suddenly either skip a few seconds forward in the song, or abruptly jump to another song altogether -- sometimes to the next song in the current album, sometimes to a song by a different artist altogether. So far I've only seen it happen on comparatively longer tracks, seven minutes or longer. I've tested the tracks in question by playing them back outside of iTunes via Quicktime, and they play back there without any problem. Anyone else having this issue, any guesses what might be causing it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 17", late 2011, 64 bit Intel

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 2:53 AM

I have deleted and re-added the files that were skipping since upgrading to 12.5.5 and, so far anyway, it seems to have stopped the problem. I think it was something to do with how iTunes added the files initially. Dunno if that will help you but give it a try and see what happens. You don't need to trash the files - just delete from iTunes and then re-add them from wherever you store your library.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2017 2:53 AM in response to Faux Hulot

I have deleted and re-added the files that were skipping since upgrading to 12.5.5 and, so far anyway, it seems to have stopped the problem. I think it was something to do with how iTunes added the files initially. Dunno if that will help you but give it a try and see what happens. You don't need to trash the files - just delete from iTunes and then re-add them from wherever you store your library.

Jan 18, 2017 7:31 AM in response to Faux Hulot

iTunes usually keeps two files with information on your library: "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes Library.xml"

The *.itl-File is solely used by iTunes and in an undocumented, obfuscated format, whereas the *.xml-File can be opened up with any text editor, and has a pretty self-explanatory structure to it.

These files usually mirror most of the same information, but there's some iTunes-specific information, such as the "Date Added"-Tag of Files (which tracks when a song was added not to Disk but rather to the iTunes Library), or playback information (e.g. in iTunes it's possible to have songs start and stop individually at defined times) solely stored in the *.itl-File.

Now I'm taking a wild guess here, but it appears that something in this last release of iTunes is causing turmoil within this information (or other similar information that is only used / read by iTunes such as the "Crossfade Songs" information or Gapless Playback), thus causing playback issues. In my case it only affects songs that have been imported recently, and not older ones that have been in my library for years now, these play perfectly fine.

The solution I've come up with currently involves this:

1. Checking whether in iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced the "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications" setting is checked / turned ON.
  2. Closing iTunes.
  3. Opening up the iTunes Media Folder Location in Finder / Explorer.
  4. Deleting (or to be able to revert it, just in case, renaming) the "iTunes Library.itl" while making sure to keep the *.xml-file.
  5. Creating a new Library for iTunes by launching it with ALT + *Click on Dock Item*.
  6. Importing the *.xml-file to this newly created, empty library via File -> Library -> Import Playlist
    Afterwards it's gonna take a couple of minutes, depending on the size of the library you might wanna make a coffee, and then all playlists & songs should re-appear.

Unfortunately this does mean some changes / inconsistencies might happen to your library:

- Date Added & further iTunes-related information is lost fully.

- Some files might get lost during iTunes' reorganisation process.

- Not too sure whether or not Smart Playlists are completely transferred.

Here's to hoping Apple acknowledges this bug and fixes it soon (:

Jan 10, 2017 11:00 AM in response to Faux Hulot

It could be your computer is tied up doing something else, even iTunes tying up itself.

I use an older iTunes and the one time I see iTunes frequently skipping parts of songs (but not always the same part so it isn't a bad file) is with AAC files that may be improperly formatted, or even simply have the wrong extension (need .m4a).

Jan 12, 2017 12:01 AM in response to Faux Hulot

I have this issue too. iTune was OK for many years. But recently (not sure since which update), iTune will skip/jump songs(playing in apple music) suddenly to next one with no reason. This happen to both my MacAir and MacPro (2013).

I noticed recent updates of iTune introduced features like touch bar control (even though my Mac don't have it), maybe this cause the bug ?

Hope Apple could fix this asap, it's super annoying.

Jan 17, 2017 11:39 AM in response to Faux Hulot

I have the same problem. Some songs are skipping halfway. I don't know what kind of glitch this is, but it even effects songs i've put on my iPod classic (80GB) I keep in the car. A lot of songs (more than on my Mac), skip always at 2:44 exactly.
Started my music library back in 2005, always kept it neatly organized and currently at 34.765 songs. Yes, that is thousands of hours of organizing my library, so this problem is driving me crazy right now!!

I doubt a Apple Tech will read this, if so a short description with examples...
Bought the latest album from Bonobo. All songs play properly except for 7:29min long "No Reason", it skips to the end of the song every time after 3:30.
Previously to that the 3:16 long song Traum from Cro skips every time after 2:24. I even tried to turn on the song stop under options at the point a song should end, no success.
Please fix!!

Jan 17, 2017 3:45 PM in response to Faux Hulot

Unfortunately I'm suffering from the same issue as well.

It does appear however to only affect recently, newly added songs.

When I try adding music track by track manually the issue does not appear, but when I for instance import an album all of the songs will always skip at (0:12). I see the Control Bar quickly flashing to the end of the Song at this 12 second mark and then the next song will be played, which in itself has the same problem...

Also running iTunes 12.5.4.2 on Sierra 10.12.3 Beta.

It is definitely a Bug within iTunes as it only started happening with this last release, and other Media Players using the iTunes Library don't suffer from it either.

Currently one solution is to re-build the iTunes Library by deleting "iTunes Library.itl" which I'm not going to do due to 120 GB of Music

Jan 17, 2017 11:26 PM in response to adrianMKofficial

adrianMKofficial wrote:

Currently one solution is to re-build the iTunes Library by deleting "iTunes Library.itl" which I'm not going to do due to 120 GB of Music

Is that not recommended due to the time it would take to rebuild, or is there another reason? I have 1.5TB of music myself and the last thing I need is to make a mess of my collection that would take ages to fix.

Jan 19, 2017 1:17 PM in response to Faux Hulot

Since adding another album today, I was fed up with this problem, and had to figure out a solution.
With Spotify you can access all of your iTunes music, Make some playlists and you're good to go!!
Downside; it really sips on CPU activity... Hopefully a lot people of people at Apple encountered the same problem and a fix is imminent.

Jan 22, 2017 8:17 PM in response to Faux Hulot

Having the same issue, songs will only load until ~1:23, then I will have to skip to next song then come back to this first song, only then it will load another ~1:23. Have to do this 3-4 times for the song to load fully. Definitely frustrating experience. Didn't pay the subscription for this.

Happens when streaming Apple Music using iTunes v12.5.4.42

Playback skips/jumps in iTunes 12.5.4.42

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.