Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar annoying popping sound

I have a new MBP with Touch Bar Running Sierra. Every 30 seconds to 2 minutes, I hear an annoying pop coming from the computer. On the console log, I see an entry from process trustd that usually corresponds with the pop. There is usually a pair of entries that read....

19:17:41.796267 -0800 trustd OSActivityID: 0x800000000007cf07

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.trust.root

com.apple.message.signature: F18B538D

com.apple.message.summarize: YES

SenderMachUUID: ##################

There's a post on Macrumors labeled from 2012.

Audio Popping Issue caused by 'Automatic graphic switching' ON..

It suggests turning off Automatic Graphics switching to stop the popping on an older MacBook Pro. I turned mine off for a few minutes and the sound has gone away. I'll have to run with it and see if that works. I was just wondering if anybody else has the same problem. I have a family member who does. I was just curious to know how widespread this issue is or has anybody solved it. (Maybe I have) I just can't believe a 4 year old problem is still present in a new 15" MBP.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2017 6:10 PM

I have the same problem with a maxed out, 2016 macbook pro 15 inch. Very annoying ... have not yet went to the genius bar, but may do so soon. There is another post related to this problem as well. Does not appear that anyone has found a solution there either.

Popping Sound, MBP 2016

15 replies

Feb 9, 2017 8:52 PM in response to penguinmd

So I took my MacBook Pro in to the Genius Bar for this problem. They are replacing the entire logic board and upper case in an attempt to fix Shipping it out for 10 days. Very disappointing that I paid 4K+ for what will effectively be a refurbished laptop. They said it was the first time they saw this problem...

Apr 13, 2017 12:12 PM in response to penguinmd

This is ridiculous. Apple quality is slipping at an alarming rate. First, an issue with the loose and cheaply manufactured Touch ID, which I reluctantly chose to ignore. Followed by an annoying popping sound every 2-3 minutes. Followed yet, by defective AirPods! Completely out of hand.

Haven't taken the MacBook in to the genius bar yet, but I got news for Apple if think I am going to accept them sending it out for week's worth of repairs and replacing it with a refurbished laptop. HERE ME APPLE - I SPENT NEARLY $3,000 FOR THIS MAC AND IT'S BEEN ONE ISSUE AFTER ANOTHER. It's not the user's fault that it sometimes takes months worth of troubleshooting to identify issues that were there from new.

Apr 27, 2017 9:12 AM in response to penguinmd

I have this problem as well however this is on the 13 inch with TB maxed out. same issues every 30sec - 2 min a simple "POP" like a airpocket or something goes off.

I though it was the speakers but it happens when the sound is silent as well. A close friend of mind reminded me about "Thermal expansion" that could be the cause as these things are super super thin now compared to what in most would have wanted as apposed to upgradable parts.

I took the plunge and so far am happy as my 2011 13 inch has been my ride or die for years with every aftermarket upgrade you could though at it. even unofficial ones such as the BT4.0 upgrade ......God I miss old apple ....sigh.

I digress.... WTH is up with that noise !.

Apr 28, 2017 3:01 PM in response to penguinmd

I agree, did that screen touching test you mentioned and it came back once again exactly the same noise.

Annoying but not anything worth going spending hours of time at Genus or sending my Mac off for un needed repairs to simply get back a refurb.

Relived but not relived to know its not just me anymore.

Johnny Ive and team..... Enough with making them any thinner. I speak for myself but I know others out there agree.

May 1, 2017 12:25 PM in response to penguinmd

I have had Apple laptops since they were first introduced. i just bought a new (reconditioned) 15 inch model a month ago. It is the first time I have heard the popping sound but it is loud and sounds dangerous to me. Like a capacitor discharging or something like that. I have no idea whether I should take it in for service but it does not sound right. Thoughts?

May 4, 2017 7:10 AM in response to loladawg

I purchased my laptop in February, I noticed the noise early on, ignored it for a bit, but it got more frequent- 15-35 times a day. I took it into one Apple store, they said the antenna needed to be reseated. I didn't let them take it in for service because I needed my computer for work and because I felt Apple should be giving me a new computer.

I talked to another Apple tech, they said the problem was with the fan. I made another Apple store appointment at a different store where the Apple tech said they were aware of the problem but didn't know what's causing it, they could try and figure it out but theres no guarantee, and would I like to just swap it out. I said yes, thats what I wanted from the start. I ended paying an additional almost 500 bucks because they didn't carry my model in store, would have to reorder it, it would take weeks. I'm a freelance graphic designer I can't go without a computer, so I paid the upgrade and left the store with a new 15 inch macbook pro, 2.7 ghs intel core i7 processor, 16gb of memory. I've had this computer now for 14 days. Today I open it up, sit down, checking emails... and it makes the same noise as the first computer did. Three times in about half an hour.

I personally don't think it has to do with thermal expansion. The first computer I had that did it, would do it all day. I'd start working at 9am, be working on and off until 11pm and the computer would make that noise at random, throughout that whole time. The computer was more than warmed up. (For ex. April 8 I documented the noice at: 1022 am, 1025

1033, 1036, 1048, 1057, 1106, 1113, 1129, 1216, 1247, 130, 133 - before getting sick of stopping to take note)

Very curious what the cause is. I'll be going back to the store if this new computer begins to make it more frequently like the first one, until then I'm not wasting my time.

Sep 23, 2017 2:34 PM in response to penguinmd

Did you have Touch ID enabled? I don’t know for certain whether the processes you posted are connected to Touch ID, but the fact that they sound related to authentication + it seems like there are multiple reports of people having the most trouble with the speaker closest to the fingerprint scanner (myself included) + I had Touch ID enabled, makes me wonder.

I’ve had to send my 2016 TB MBP out for repair twice now - both times a loud pop from the right speaker, followed by a permanent loss of high end from that side. The Apple store employee on the first visit seemed like he’d seen the issue before, and said the logic board needed to be replaced. They didn’t end up replacing the board - only the top case - and sure enough the same day I got it back it blew out again.

2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar annoying popping sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.