Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule hard read and write speed

hi i have a time capsule 4th generation 802.11n

i copied a 1.6 gb file (DMG) from time capsule hard to my mac (mac pro 2016 without touchbar) the average speed was 17MB/s !!!! from mac to time capsule hard was 10 MB/s !!!!!!

i wanted to know is it ok? why is it too low???

what is this speed on the time capsul airport 802.11ac ???!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), MLL42

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 12:50 PM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2017 2:17 PM in response to zana kam

On AC wireless up close to the TC.. so you have a full 1300Mbps link (or very close to it).

You can assume the numbers you get are going to be close to ethernet..

Tesserax numbers show that TC is NOT limited by ethernet speed.. which would give you >100MBps

It is the processor speed of the TC and its internal limitations.

• Read: 356 Mbps (or 44.5 MBps), where Mbps = Mega bits per second and MBps = Mega Bytes per second.
  • Write: 308.5 Mbps (or 38.6 MBps)

Wireless AC can easily transfer those kinds of numbers.. up close.

I did just try and reproduce it.. but my TC has never been hugely reliable.. so take it that with a bit of spruiking I can get the numbers up a bit.

User uploaded file

This is exactly the same.. wireless connection to the TC.. which is hard wired to a synology NAS.

The test is to hard disk in the synology.

User uploaded file

Over wireless AC remember.. they are pretty good numbers.. a bit strange.. in faster read than write.. that should be the other way around..

But it is proof of concept... that the synology is faster over wireless than the TC over gigabit ethernet.. shows the TC is simply not that fast.

Over ethernet to the synology. I get the expected read number. (write is a lot slower which is again some other issue).

User uploaded file

Let me therefore affirm Teserrax's point..

If your networking goal requires a NAS, then use a dedicated NAS device. The Time Capsule was primarily designed for Time Machine.

Yes.. although the investment is a lot greater the end result is a lot better.. wired ethernet too although with AC wireless.. up close remember to a decent AC wireless router it is not bad.

Jan 12, 2017 12:56 PM in response to zana kam

Just go to the Conclusion section.

The results for my 802.11ac Time Capsule were:

• Read: 356 Mbps (or 44.5 MBps), where Mbps = Mega bits per second and MBps = Mega Bytes per second.
  • Write: 308.5 Mbps (or 38.6 MBps)

For a USB drive attached to the Time Capsule's USB port, the results were:

• Read: 131.46 Mbps (or 16.4 MBps)
  • Write: 55.20 Mbps (or 6.9 MBps)

All of these tests were done with a wired connection between a 2014 Mac mini and an 802.11ac Time Capsule as per the tip. If the connection would have been wireless, the results would be lower.

So, let's compare with what you got...

You stated that the speed was 17 MBps from the Time Capsule to the Mac. This would be your "Read" speed. Your "Write" speed was stated as: 10 MBps.

In comparison:

• Read: 44.5 MBps vs. 17 MBps (about 62% lower)
  • Write: 38.6 MBps vs. 10 MBps (about 74% lower)

So... your results are significantly lower than mine. There are a number of factors of why:

1. You are using a 4th generation 802.11n Time Capsule vs. a 802.11ac Time Capsule in the test.
  2. You are using a wireless connection between your Mac and your Time Capsule. In my test the connection is wired.

As far as replacing your 4th gen Time Capsule with a newer 802.11ac model... well, it may show some improvement, but the biggest "bang for your buck" would be to change the connection between devices to a wired one.

Jan 13, 2017 8:15 AM in response to zana kam

Sorry, but where my Mac mini is located I cannot get a 5 GHz wireless connection to my Time Capsule as it is located at the other end of my house. There is no way for me to get an accurate measurement without reconfiguring my network.

The bottom line? Two things for better data transfer rates:

1. Use wired connections between devices, and
  2. If your networking goal requires a NAS, then use a dedicated NAS device. The Time Capsule was primarily designed for Time Machine.

Jan 12, 2017 1:01 PM in response to Tesserax

tnx for the reply

it really did help

can i ask u 1 favor?

your mac wireless is 802.11ac right?

would u do the test with a wireless connection 5Ghz?

i want to know the speed between a 802.11ac(mac) with the 802.11ac(time capsul) with wireless connection

plz just download a 1gb file(from your time capsule hdd not external hdd), measure the time and then do the math.

tnx again

time capsule hard read and write speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.