Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple message, contacts greyed out

HI all,

im trying to send a message/multiple message and can't access a huge amount of my contacts as they are greyed out. I realise that my contacts may not have an iPhone/iMessage service and I have checked my settings/message and made sure that SMS is activated Somthat they would receive my message as a normal txt message.

IVe also so tried deactivating my iMessage tab and restarting it.

Neither has worked.

I have the ios10.2 updated a few months ago and have encountered numerous problems with my email service too.

but one problem at a time :-(

any help on the greyed out messages would be grateful received.

THanks

MAndy

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2017 2:53 AM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2017 12:47 PM in response to purewotsit

Hello purewotsit,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to use the Messages app to send a message to certain contacts as their info is greyed out, as well as some email issues. Please use the following steps and articles to help resolve your issues with the Messages app and your email troubles.

Try these steps first

1. Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is updated to the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you have an iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Ficonnection. To send an SMS message, you need to have a cellular network connection. If you have Wi-Fi Calling turned on, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi. Contact your carrier for more information.
  4. Check with your carrier to see if the type of message you’re trying to send, like MMS or SMS, is supported.
  5. If you’re trying to send group MMS messages on an iPhone, turn on MMS Messaging. If you don't see an option to turn on MMS Messaging or Group Messaging on your iPhone, contact your carrier.
  6. Make sure that you entered the correct phone number or email address for the recipient.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2017 8:30 AM in response to purewotsit

Had the same issue...received a text that was sent to five people; clicked on one contact and it was greyed out. For me, it was because I had the contact's name entered in the "COMPANY" line. There is no contact info for a company, only the individual. I removed the contact name from the "COMPANY" line and now I see all their contact info when I opened the text message. Hope this works for you.

Dec 25, 2017 7:30 AM in response to purewotsit

I had this issue too, and it was driving me insane––I just solved it. (I know your post is from 11 months ago, but I figured I'd share for anyone else having the same problem who finds this post in search results).

I had been using Gmail for all of my contacts on my phone. I went to Gmail (on my computer), exported all of my contacts (as vcards), and then imported them into iCloud contacts. (So now I have all my contacts in both Gmail and iCloud, but for whatever reason iMessages is only pulling in blue/green contacts from iCloud). This completely fixed the issue in 2 minutes!

Multiple message, contacts greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.