Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification Center on OS Sierra isn't working

I am currently up to date with OS Sierra. I recently purchased an external hard drive to back up my computer. Once I backed everything up, and started using a software other than Time Machine (software is SuperDuper!), I noticed I no longer get notifications in my notification center, nor will it open when I click on the button in the menu bar.

I'm not sure if the new software is related at all, I just noticed it after downloading and using it. The notifications still show up as bubbles on the app, like messenger or email, but they don't appear on the right corner of my screen like they did previously. Also, as stated before, the notification center won't open.

I have checked all notification settings and nothing seems to be off.

MacBook, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2017 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 3:13 PM

Paste this in Terminal and it will show Notification Center again:

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist killall NotificationCenter

You may have to restart your Mac afterwards.

THIS SOLUTION WORKS! TESTED MYSELF

6 replies

Jan 14, 2017 6:59 AM in response to blk96

Greetings blk96!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues with the Notifications on your computer. What you might want to try next are some specific restarts. Check out this article to Try safe mode if your Mac doesn’t finish starting up . While this article speaks about the computer not starting up properly, it can also run repairs and stop startup items that can cause issues.

Next, check out this article with steps how to Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac .

Another option you can try is in this article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac . This will allow you to check to see if the issue is user specific or system wide.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2017 3:59 PM in response to blk96

Is it possible that the Option key is being toggled when you click on the notification center? This will cause notification center to toggle on or off. You can tell people it'll go back and forth between black and gray when you click on it.

Also check to make sure that Do No Disturb hasn't been turned on under System Preferences > Notifications.

Feb 9, 2017 6:13 PM in response to J. Charles Holt1

I don't ever remember holding the option key while clicking the Notification Center but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'll give it a try though- Thanks

My do not disturb is off- so that's not the issue.

The issue started after I downloaded a software to use with my external hard drive. I then fixed the problem by creating a new admin account and deleting the old one, everything worked fine. Then I backed up my computer to the external hard drive again and it started not working again. New admin didn't fix anything.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to reset my computer and reinstall the software. I'm at a loss.

Notification Center on OS Sierra isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.