Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Window Size (compose or reply) way too BIG

I have asked this before and gotten no response. Mail is driving me crazy. A few months ago the "new message" window and/or "reply" windows started taking up all my screen real estate, no longer opening at a smaller size. I resize the window and close it, and the next time it opens at a reasonable size. But after that, again it takes up the entire screen (and I have to manually resize it... are real pain). This also happens (the window is huge) every time I quit and open Mail again.

The solutions in the support group (deleting signatures in the Mail preferences, deleting the Mail plist file) have not solved the problem. Please Help.... this is driving me crazy.

Dan

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), iMac (27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 7:49 AM

I had tried deleting the Mail preferences files, and this did not solve the problem. Also tried deleting the signatures multiple times, to no avail.

However, last night I stumbled on a solution (one thread tipped me off) that is bizarre, and a strange glitch. If I opened a new message (compose new message) window via the keyboard command, rather than the tool bar icon, and resize the window to the size I want by default, that size sticks (even after quitting and restarting mail). And it seems to have also affected the default size when I use the tool bar icon from that point on. So an odd thing: if one uses the keyboard command to open a new message window (or via the "file" menu command), and sizes it as one wants, that then becomes the default window size. I think the reason my problem arose in the first place was that I'd done the same thing before (used the keyboard command to open a new message window) and sized the window as full screen by accident, and that became my default window size -- I couldn't undo it until now (when I finally discovered the fix).

Bizarre... but so far so good. Crossing fingers. Thank you both for your help.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 7:49 AM in response to DanG77

I had tried deleting the Mail preferences files, and this did not solve the problem. Also tried deleting the signatures multiple times, to no avail.

However, last night I stumbled on a solution (one thread tipped me off) that is bizarre, and a strange glitch. If I opened a new message (compose new message) window via the keyboard command, rather than the tool bar icon, and resize the window to the size I want by default, that size sticks (even after quitting and restarting mail). And it seems to have also affected the default size when I use the tool bar icon from that point on. So an odd thing: if one uses the keyboard command to open a new message window (or via the "file" menu command), and sizes it as one wants, that then becomes the default window size. I think the reason my problem arose in the first place was that I'd done the same thing before (used the keyboard command to open a new message window) and sized the window as full screen by accident, and that became my default window size -- I couldn't undo it until now (when I finally discovered the fix).

Bizarre... but so far so good. Crossing fingers. Thank you both for your help.

Jan 15, 2017 2:33 PM in response to raina_b22

Thanks, Becky. I hope my discovery is helpful to anyone else who has had this problem. I'd not seen this "fix" (which I believe was also the inadvertent cause of the issue in the first place... using the keyboard command or the "file" menu command to open a new/ compose message window, then resizing that window, sets that size as the default for future new windows) anywhere else. Hope it helps others.

Dan

Jan 14, 2017 1:45 PM in response to DanG77

Hello DanG77,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to have the reply and compose a new message window in Mail on your Mac to be a little bit smaller than what it is now, and some of the troubleshooting steps you have tried didn't resolve this issue. You can figure out if this unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

You can also use safe mode to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks, delete system cache files, verifies your startup disk, and attempts to repair directory issues if needed. Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

Let us know the results of this test. We'll help you get through this. Cheers!

Mail Window Size (compose or reply) way too BIG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.