Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Data Usage (again)

Hi team,

I am constantly being annoyed by this high data usage / spike on my mobile data. Today alone, it consume 1.9GB and it is absolutely not possible.

I have turned off all the app on my iPhone 5SE to avoid using mobile data, except about 10-20 most basic apps like mail, calendar, WhatsApp, Evernote, Numbers, Pages, 1Password, etc

I called the telco and the customer service officer told me that it is caused by Google services between 2-3pm. Also I check under setting > mobile data > system services > DNS services, it shows 1.9GB.

I have submitted a feedback to the telco but I want to know from Apple what is DNS services and what does it do that cause the mobile data to surge by 1.9GB in a day?

Thank you.

iPhone SE, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 7:08 AM

8 replies

Jan 17, 2017 9:59 AM in response to jameshoty

Have you checked with the carrier to see if they agree about the large data numbers, or is it only on the phone that you see it in Settings/Cellular? You should be able to check this on the carrier's website.

When you turn off cellular data to use WiFi, are you aware that WiFi is turned off when the phone is asleep, unless it is plugged in? It does this to preserve battery life. If the number is not confirmed by the carrier it's possible that it is an anomalous value because apps are trying to do DNS lookups over cellular and failing.

Jan 14, 2017 7:45 AM in response to jameshoty

DNS (Domain Name System) is the Internet name server that translates site names to their actual location on the 'net. When you enter a URL it must be translated to an IP address. This is done by whatever DNS server your cellular provider uses. Each lookup is small; a couple of hundred bytes. To reach a number like you report would take about 4 million lookups, which is almost impossible. So you either left a self-updating page open in Safari, or you have an app that is seriously misbehaving. While I don't normally recommend killing apps, this would be a good time to do it. Also go to Settings/Safari and clear all content.

When you go to Settings/Cellular you can see how much data is used by each app. Do any stand out?

Jan 17, 2017 4:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have been very careful with apps that used mobile data. App like youtube, radio, photo, iTunes updates and the like are all turned off. Wifi assist are turned off. Facebook turned off (not so much of data usage but want to spend my time wisely). And come to a point it seems meaningless to carry a mobile phone if I keep turning off mobile connectivity.

I agree with you that it is quite unlikely the DNS / lookup consume 1.9GB. I have never seen DNS in this setting pane before. I believe it is newly added (or maybe I am wrong).

There is no app that stands out in terms of the data usage. Some of the highest I can see include fixit (30MB), mail (70MB), Safari (23MB), Uber (16MB), WhatsApp (30MB).

Jan 17, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Briansyddall

I really do not know what exactly has happened, because I do not monitor it every single minute. But I do record the usage on a daily basis (usually in the morning).

My habit is turn off mobile data when I am at home since I am using home broadband internet. And turn turn on mobile data when I am out of my home. Because I manually manage which app is to use mobile data, I did not expect an "unknown-to-me" service/app that chalk up 1.9GB. I am not talking about reaching 1.9GB in 20 days, but in 1 day, and the offending app is DNS (under setting pane). But telco engineer pointed it to Google update service (from his backend dashboard).

Shockingly, he (the telco engineer) shared with me that he has seen / received complaints that are similar to my situation recently. So I thought it is "severe" enough to seek this community for help.

Jan 18, 2017 5:08 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

The telco called and they said that it did report 1.9GB and it is due to Google services. But they are not able to offer anything concrete beyond that. They asked me to kill the app that run background to prevent refreshing (my life cannot be more busy trying to do this "killing app" things!). They also advise me to close all Safari session, suggesting that some websites that I had visited is/are trying to reload itself or something like. But even so, is it possible to hit 1.9GB just by one Safari app in one hour (32MB/minute?). Even if what they said is true, then why only occur within that 1 hour. Should it continue to 2.9GB, 3.9Gb and so on?

I just cannot convince myself that in a high tech world we live today, they have no clue about this. They told me that they cannot track down to the app level is due to privacy issue. So I told them I can give them 100% permission and I will not take legal action against them but they refuse to answer me directly.

I pray that there will be an app that can track, report, alert, limit data usage for mobile phone user, so as to better protect the user community instead of being "bullied" by the "BIG strong organisations".

Lawrence, thanks for follow up with this issue. The number (1.9GB) is confirmed by the telco. The date/time they reported is the time where I was attending a wedding lunch at the hotel. I was on 4G but was busy with friends and relative that I do not think I am using the phone except taking selfie and the famous WhatsApp app to sharing photos. I called Uber after the wedding which is outside the one hour window.

High Data Usage (again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.