Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iMac configuration for photography?

Hi

I am looking at buying a new iMac (coming from a late 2012 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 16GB)

While I used to be a multimedia designer and all-around "need for speed" junkie, I am now more of an old lady wildlife photographer. I am trying to decide between spending my money on more processing power or more memory. So the choice is between:

3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 32 GB of ram

or

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16GB ram

Either way, I will likely go with the 1T fusion drive.

I do not do a lot of multitasking, mainly working in Aperture (am slowly taking my head out of the sand and trialing Capture one and Lightroom) But I am now using a 5D M4 which is a 30 megapixel camera with large file sizes. (avg 40MB) Some video, but never long clips. No gaming. Photoshop with same files as above.

So I am wondering if the extra memory would serve me more than extra cpu?

I do know there are new iMacs on the near horizon, but I also hear the ports may also be swapped with usb-c and I rely on a large number of usb and thunderbolt drives and accessories. Besides, there is always something new around the corner. I have abandoned that factor. :-)

elcome any thoughts from those who might be dealing with similar needs?

thanks

NJ

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 7:42 AM

9 replies

Jan 14, 2017 7:51 AM in response to njwight

So I am wondering if the extra memory would serve me more than extra cpu?

thanks

NJ

Given that choice always go with the CPU as you cannot upgrade that down the road. However on 27" iMacs never buy any more than the basic RAM (currently 8GB) from Apple. Purchase RAM from either Crucial (buy it direct) or OWC (www.macsales.com). Upgrading RAM is extremely easy and less expensive if you do it yourself.

Jan 14, 2017 9:03 AM in response to njwight

For photo processing spend the money on a SSD for the fastest IO. SSD is by far the quickest for startup, app launching, file opening and closing and shutdown. Also a SSD due to having no moving parts it is likely going to be more reliable than anything with a HD.

If you were doing a video work then I'd say the ultimate would be getting SSD, strong CPU and lots of RAM. In fact if you were going to do it professionally I'd say a Mac Pro. For photography, a SSD, moderate CPU and good RAM, 24GB as stated is likely just fine.

Which iMac configuration for photography?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.