Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New (2017) Superdrive does not work on new (Dec 2016) MacBook Pro

I bought a new Superdrive yesterday to use with my new (Dec 2016) MB Pro with OLED bar. The Superdrive does not load DVDs when attached to the new MBP. When I hook it up to my old Mac Mini it works just fine.

When I bought the Superdrive at the Apple Store they assured me it would work with the MBP. I am using an Apple USB-USB C adaptor..

When I look at the part number on the Superdrive it is identical to my old Superdrive that I have used for years -- A1379

What's going on?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 7:00 PM

Well ... an answer has been found.

It turns out that Apple's Superdrive is not compatible with their newest, hottest line of laptops. Despite what the person told me in the Apple store yesterday, today at the Genius Bar they advised that, in fact, the drive does not work on the USB-C ports of the new MBP.

So ... you buy a computer with enough horsepower to do video production, but when you try to save your video to DVD, you cannot do it. I appreciate that most video and music is now stored in the cloud, or on Vimeo, or whatever, but hard copy is good to have.

When I asked the employee (after I calmed down), *** I was supposed to do, they suggested I search Amazon for a DVD drive that was USB-C compatible.

Nice play, Apple.😠😮

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 7:00 PM in response to Lorne Blackman

Well ... an answer has been found.

It turns out that Apple's Superdrive is not compatible with their newest, hottest line of laptops. Despite what the person told me in the Apple store yesterday, today at the Genius Bar they advised that, in fact, the drive does not work on the USB-C ports of the new MBP.

So ... you buy a computer with enough horsepower to do video production, but when you try to save your video to DVD, you cannot do it. I appreciate that most video and music is now stored in the cloud, or on Vimeo, or whatever, but hard copy is good to have.

When I asked the employee (after I calmed down), *** I was supposed to do, they suggested I search Amazon for a DVD drive that was USB-C compatible.

Nice play, Apple.😠😮

Apr 23, 2017 12:00 PM in response to tjk

Thanks for the idea on the work around. I have an old Mac with a drive that I can pull out and use.

But, that is not really the point here. I am not looking for a work around, or to go and buy some other kit that is not Apple - when I have already paid Apple for a "Superdrive"...

Apple have made a mess here changing the ports and not allowing them to power the superdrive.

An apology from Apple would be a good start, but that is hardly likely.

Jan 20, 2018 4:12 PM in response to Lorne Blackman

I've had the same problem... The issue is a bit obscure and clearly even the Apple sales people aren't completely up on this topic. As others have said the SuperDrive requires more power than is available through standard USB ports. So Apple prevents it from working without a "direct" connection. So that means even your typical USB-C to USB-A style hubs will not work.

I believe someone here has claimed that Apple's USB-C to USB-A cable will work. I have not tested it, but it certainly has the highest chance of working:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

You can find more info on Apple's support page:

Mac computers that can use the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

A USB hub with external power should theoretically work. However, I have confirmed that OS X still blocks this as it cannot know that your hub has extra power. One solution may be to try some of these old tricks to tweak OS X to support this:

http://www.mnott.de/how-to-run-a-superdrive-on-a-usb-hub/

However, I have not tested this first-hand either.

Apple is clearly abandoning spinning disk technologies, which I can't really fault them for. But overall it's kinda dumb when all you want to do is rip a CD you purchased at a concert or whatever. On the other hand if you're just looking for a CD/DVD reader, you can find them for $25 on Amazon.

Jan 9, 2018 10:12 PM in response to Lorne Blackman

The Superdrive will work actually with the Touchbar models.

I was having same issues. Tried running it through the Hyperdrive adapters with multiple ports - no go. Tried running it off some external monitor USB ports - no go. Issue was always power.

Had read the link that another answer refers to stating that need a direct connection basically with Apple peddling their "direct" USB-C to USB-A convertor.

I happened to have a USB-C to A convertor that came with my Samsung phone. Plugged it in. Bingo.

So I think as long as you have a "direct" connection then the USB-C port will supply power.

Good luck.

New (2017) Superdrive does not work on new (Dec 2016) MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.