Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest iTunes not compatible with iPod Classic

After wasting hours (like many of you) trying all the helpful (old) suggestions in multiple Community threads to enable me to continue to be able to sync my iTunes to my iPod Classic, I used Apple Support Chat and was clearly told by a "Senior Advisor" that the latest iTunes (12.5.4 in my case) is NOT compatible with my iPod Classic. I see debates about whether or not this is correct in other threads, but she was quite adamant about the non-compatibility. I couldn't even put the iPod in Disk Mode to use Disk Utility to erase it because as soon as iTunes started upon connecting the iPod, the iPod listing in Disk Utility disappeared! And no way to disable the autostart of iTunes!

I also asked why Sync is now "all or nothing", instead of earlier versions when a pop-up Sync window allowed you to customize which playlists, or even which types of data (e.g., Contacts, videos, podcasts) would NOT be sync'd. I was told "sync features have changed a bit in recent updates"!

I hope the above saves someone some frustrating hours.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), iPad Air, iPhone 6S, iPod

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 7:10 AM

Hi,

I have two iPod Classics, one pre 2008 and the other 2009 version purchased not long before the Classic was withdrawn.

I can still sync both with latest version of iTunes. My newer one syncs with El Dorado on a older iMac and the older one Syncs with an iMac running OS Sierra.

Here is the support document iPod classic - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Jim

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2017 7:10 AM in response to bobinma

Hi,

I have two iPod Classics, one pre 2008 and the other 2009 version purchased not long before the Classic was withdrawn.

I can still sync both with latest version of iTunes. My newer one syncs with El Dorado on a older iMac and the older one Syncs with an iMac running OS Sierra.

Here is the support document iPod classic - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jan 16, 2017 7:16 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Many thanks for your encouragement. After erasing the iPod, resetting it, and again trying to sync (after "Welcome to New iPod" setup), it worked! I don't know what was different than the same process tried yesterday, but at least it won't be a paperweight! I'm on iTunes 12.5.4.42 and Sierra 10.12.2. I also don't know why Apple Support (Chat) said iTunes is no longer compatible with iPod Classic! Great that the Communities provide even more expertise!

Latest iTunes not compatible with iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.