Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro stalls at logon screen.

I did a software update for macOS Sierra last week and since then my computer won't go past the logon screen. It accepts my password and the progress bar works (although slowly) and when it gets to the end nothing happens. If I push enter at this point and a lot of code comes up and then it shuts down. I have tried every fix that I can find but nothing seems to work.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 2:41 PM

4 replies

Jan 14, 2017 2:45 PM in response to vern777er

Hi,

First, try a Safe Mode boot. That deletes system caches that can help after an update.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If that doesn't help, check the startup disk to see if it needs repairing using OS X Recovery.

Startup up your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you should be able to access the built in utilities to verify and repair the disk if necessary and restore OS X using OS X Recovery.

* message edited by CS

Oct 5, 2017 10:28 AM in response to vern777er

I run into the same issue this week. MBP was working fine with High Sierra for a couple of weeks using my profile until my son logged in using his profile. MBP stopped working the very next day when I tried to login again. After entering password, it stalls on the progress bar. Can't enter into SAFE mode either. I run disk utility's first Aid and also run OS Recovery.. the issue is persistent.

Macbook Pro stalls at logon screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.