Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird behavior of external disk

Weird behavior of external disk.

The disk unmounts spontaneously, the 'Disk not ejected properly' warning is displayed. After a few seconds, it remounts just as spontaneously. Upon double-clicking its icon, the disk Finder window does not open. It does first when the disk is spontaneously unmounted the next time. Then the main window opens, but the subfolders are not displayed, nor is the Path. Instead, in the bottom right corner, the sprocket wheel keeps spinning. The disk can not be ejected manually by context menu!

Disk Utility says "Couldn't repair the partition map because a new EFI system partition could not be created".

It's a 3TB La Cie disk, connected to an early 2009 Mac running OS 10.10.5. Connected via USB3 (disk) and a USB 1 or 2 hub. This setup has worked for a long time.

The disk is several years old. Is it just worn out?

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 5:09 AM

Try using the external drive by connecting it directly to the usb port on your iMac, try using a different power cable or usb cable for your external drive. If those don't work your enclosure might be to blame so you could remove the hard drive inside that enclosure and plug it into another enclosure and see what happens.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 5:09 AM in response to hening

Try using the external drive by connecting it directly to the usb port on your iMac, try using a different power cable or usb cable for your external drive. If those don't work your enclosure might be to blame so you could remove the hard drive inside that enclosure and plug it into another enclosure and see what happens.

Jan 15, 2017 5:41 AM in response to Tech Assistant

Thank you for your fast reply, Jan. - Today, the disk seems to work when I plug the cable directly into the Mac Pro. Strange, I thought I had tried this also before I asked, just did not mention it. The connection of the USB3 end of the cable to the disk seems pretty unstable, it is easy for the rather stiff cable to lever the plug to one side. I will asap try to buy another cable and see what happens. Changing the enclosure will not be possible, since it is in one unit with the disk.

Thanks again! - Hening.

Jan 15, 2017 1:40 PM in response to hening

Changing the enclosure will not be possible, since it is in one unit with the disk.

Not really. You may have to take it to someone.

These external drive contain an ordinary harddrive. Most of the time these enclosures are easy to take apart. You need to figure out what type of disk was used and buy another enclosure/dongle to match the specs.

Something like this adapter will let you access the drive. Might want to put a fan on the drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

Jan 15, 2017 1:40 PM in response to rccharles

Hi rccharles, thank you for your suggestion. But to be honest, this looks like a lot of fiddling, I don't look through it. And I really can't see how the enclosure I have could be taken apart. And if I need to take it to a craftsman first ... well I think it will be both cheaper and easier to buy a new enclosure and disk if a new cable doesn't cut it. Fortunately, hard disk space is not SOO expensive these days. Maybe next time I'll make sure to buy an enclosure where disks can easily be plugged in.

Thanks again! - Hening

Jan 16, 2017 11:27 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for chiming in, Eric. The trick did not work for me, but then, in my case, there was no migration involved. And the problem is new to me, the same configuration has worked earlier. Also, it is strange that the problem seems to be gone if I plug the connection cable directly into the Mac rather then via a hub. I think I try a new cable and see what happens.

weird behavior of external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.