Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Heart Rate - too high - issue!

Overall, I love my Apple Watch and have noted that the heart rate monitor is fairly accurate when compared to my Wahoo heart rate monitor. The only issue I have ever had were delayed readings while exercising. This is a pain if I am running and trying to keep my heart rate low (and only using the watch vs Wahoo) and suddenly the readings disappear for a couple of minutes but I can deal with that.

My bigger issue just started happening. I was on a treadmill a few nights ago and taking intermittent readings with the treadmill hand monitor and comparing to my watch. The treadmill rate ranged between 115-130 but my watch was reporting very high rates - like 165-210 - which is abnormal since I am running at an easy pace for low cardio training. I reset the watch and tried again but saw the same results. I fully trust my Apple device so I quit running for the night and thought maybe I was just tired. I let it go for a day but tried again today while using Wahoo and saw the same behavior! My heart rate was at 125 and the Apple Watch was recording rates at 200+!

Even now, as I sit relaxed and typing this question, my rate is showing 207 when I am actually at 70.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you remedy the issue or does this require a trip to the Apple store?

Thanks!

Apple Watch Sport 38mm (1st Gen), watchOS 3.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2017 1:10 PM

I'm having the same issue... when running - it goes ultra high (165) when I know it's around 125. Did you resolve this issue? is it hardware? I have the new Series 3.

6 replies

Jan 15, 2017 2:27 AM in response to coastsiderunner

Hi

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor, ensure that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly on the top of your wrist. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos.

More information:

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a potential hardware defect, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider with a view to having your watch checked and, if recommended, serviced:

Jan 19, 2017 11:47 AM in response to coastsiderunner

I have the same problem, I even had two watches at the same time one reading 74 and the other 150. I have a heart condition (A fib) and this is very scary and confusing. I will be riding my bike for 30 minutes with rates no higher than 80 and all of the sudden I see 150 for a minute or two and back to 75. Please let me know if you have an explanation, I'm quite sure my heart is not going from 80 to 150 in a second.

Jan 21, 2018 1:11 AM in response to coastsiderunner

I do recognize this problem the first minutes of a running workout. I think the watch has’nt locked the hearthrate yet. In stead of hearthrate the watch picked up the running cadence. That is mostly in range of the measured high hearthrate. After a few Minutes the watch pick up the right hearthrate. I don’t know if the problem will be the same with a bluetooth. Somebody experience with a bluetooth strap?

Apple Watch Heart Rate - too high - issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.