Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7+ Camera Lens Area - Dust

Here is the lens area of my iPhone 7+. Phone is a couple days old. It is definitely not on exterior. I cannot tell if it's under or 'in' the glass.

This is a replacement phone for a brand new one bought about a week ago.

No issues on the small lens/area. Hard to see with the naked eye but lights up with light. The ONLY reason I was looking is because of all the image quality issues I am having with the 7+.

User uploaded file

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 9:46 PM

If you believe this may be part of why you're having poor camera issues I would suggest contacting Apple again (or the carrier if they are the ones that replaced it) to request another replacement. If you only had your original one for a week you should have been given a brand new replacement. There are complaints about camera issues but I haven't noticed any complaining about dust in the lens area.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 9:46 PM in response to SoCalDawg

If you believe this may be part of why you're having poor camera issues I would suggest contacting Apple again (or the carrier if they are the ones that replaced it) to request another replacement. If you only had your original one for a week you should have been given a brand new replacement. There are complaints about camera issues but I haven't noticed any complaining about dust in the lens area.

Jan 14, 2017 10:07 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail,

Yes, I absolutely utilize the focus on the camera. Here is a picture I took today outside. It looks great. However, 'focus' for an image like this is easy as it fills the frame. This is why I think it could be more than one issue. Either way, I feel compelled to exchange the phone as there is definitely something under the glass or in it. I had to compress this image to get under 2MB so hopefully it retains the look. At least you can see that it nailed focus.

One thing that I did notice with this and other images is that even when I am not in Portrait mode, some images look like they are attempting that mode.

User uploaded file

Jan 14, 2017 9:50 PM in response to KaeBFly

Thank you. I have an appointment for this coming Wednesday but may try to get in earlier. I am hoping to resolve the issue soon for sure. I do think there is a bit of a software issue with 10.2/Camera but I also think this dust may be part of my issue as well. It seems to explain the issues with focus when I am shooting a large outdoor object versus a person's face (much harder focus, especially with other object around the subject).

Jan 14, 2017 10:15 PM in response to SoCalDawg

Well, with portrait mode, as you know, you have to be at the right distance to achieve the effect, and it has a pretty good guide to keep you in the right place to take a photo where the subject is focused. But I have found it is easier to get an unfocused photo in this mode, only because you have to keep the subject at a specific distance, and there are other prominent objects at the same or close to the same distance, I think it requires some finesse.

I also have photos that were in the photo mode that have an unfocused background. I think for the regular photos it depends on how close you are to your subject and how much depth of field you have in the background. I even have photos from my iPhone 4 and 5s that have this effect sometimes 🙂

But if tapping the face doesn't focus a normal photo in, then it sounds like you may have some issues with the camera. Not sure if what is showing in the lens area would affect that since it is below the actual lens, but it would be best for you to have Apple look at it and explain what the heck that is....

Best of luck,

GB

iPhone 7+ Camera Lens Area - Dust

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.