Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Trackpad Issues

Well, I've got this 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. This has this big ol' track pad that becomes activated by the slightest proximity of: my palm, or shirt cuff, or sweater sleeve that brushes across it. This tender touch seems to hop the cursor to all sorts of locations when typing. It has reduced my productivity by half as I need to find the errant phrase embedded in another paragraph, highlight and copy/move it to its intended location and usually adjust positioning of several sentences.

I guess one could weld their palms to the touch pad and avoid reaching to the touch bar, or Siri, or TouchID. But that is not practical. Someone really screwed up on this one.

What this oversized (and totally unnecessary design) needs is the following:

> ability to turn the track pad off - maybe having a Cntl-Swipe as needed

> ability to reduce the virtual size it this thing, like one crops a photo - back to its native and completely natural size

> adjust the track pod's sensitivity so casual 'dusting' from clothing does not affect keyboard activities

> fix the 'palm touch' engine to react instantly rather than its present half-second delay

> OR are replacement track pad that downsized the thing to its original and unobtrusive parameters

Get on this Apple

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 10:50 PM

Hello Gary.

If you have a mouse or a wireless trackpad from some previous machine there is a way to do this. Pair the mouse or trackpad (old version or new one) > go to Systems prefs > Accessibility > Mouse and trackpad > and in the panel on the right is a box 'Ignore trackpad if mouse is present'. Check that box. The result is a dead built in trackpad. Its not a perfect solution but it does the job.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 10:50 PM in response to Gary Hood

Hello Gary.

If you have a mouse or a wireless trackpad from some previous machine there is a way to do this. Pair the mouse or trackpad (old version or new one) > go to Systems prefs > Accessibility > Mouse and trackpad > and in the panel on the right is a box 'Ignore trackpad if mouse is present'. Check that box. The result is a dead built in trackpad. Its not a perfect solution but it does the job.

Aug 14, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Gary Hood

I agree. Totally *****. Thinking of moving to a MacBook Air, it's so bad. Or even looking into Windows options (yes, folks, it's that stupidly bad you wonder who is making these choices at Apple, and I am normally a huge fan). So many more typing errors than in the past. I guess we are all supposed to dictate to Siri, and use this keyboard and trackpad only for graphic work? I have no idea, but wish I could avoid this horrid trackpad.

Big Trackpad Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.