Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

play svcd in sierra?

can i play svcd discs on a mac?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Boot Camp with Windows 7

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 7:05 AM

8 replies

Jan 15, 2017 7:27 AM in response to papa-kostas

From the page that was linked…

Play back of SVCD titles is impaired when played on most DVD players, causing dropped frames, choppy video playback or skipping of sound. This is due to the unfortunately chosen two-thirds video ratio in the SVCD format specifications, which doens't align well with the other more common video formats VCD and DVD. Most DVD players support the video formats VCD, SVCD and DVD (with horizontal resolutions 352p, 480p and 720p) but the best resolution usually dictates the design of all the electronics components, most notably the low pass filter. With only one analog low pass filter optimised for one video format (usually DVD 720), the other two video format will suffer from aliasing. The SVCD format is especially prone to "foldover" because the 480p format doesn't fit well over a 720p output. Although the aliasing artifacts that result from this bad fit are usually buried in noise from other sources, such as camera, quantization, and MPEGartifacts.

VLC may be able to play SVCD discs but they are not supported by QuickTime. Roxie Toast may be able to convert them to a usable format but I'm not sure of that.

Feb 26, 2017 3:53 PM in response to papa-kostas

Were you ever able to find a solution to this?

I was clearing out old writable CDs I had and found one from 2000 that is marked up Super Video CD. So far I have not been able to play it on anything. I have a feeling it may be an old ultrasound so I would not like to lose it...

So far, Quicktime, VLC and Handbrake have not been able to play it.

Ideas?

play svcd in sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.