Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (2016) black screen after unplugging from LG 5K Display

This concerns the MacBook Pro 2016 (Touch Bar, 13", Core i7, Iris 550).

and the new LG 5K Display (sold through Apple).

OS 10.12.2

When placing the docked (closed) MacBook Pro to sleep, and then unplugging from the LG 5K monitor, and then reopening the MacBook (even after several minutes), the MacBook display shows a black screen and does not wake from sleep. It then requires a hard reboot.

The workaround is to open the MacBook before disconnecting from the LG 5K monitor, and then closing the lid again, but this is of course not optimal.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this problem (I have one colleague who has the same issue, and is running an identical system to my own, but I have not found much else online about this specific issue, although the LG 5K has not been on the market for long). This problem does not occur with the Thunderbolt Display with this same MacBook Pro.

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 2:24 PM

21 replies

Feb 1, 2017 9:10 AM in response to CGFbl

Exactly the same here. The MBP wakes up (keys are backlit, slight glow on screen), but the screen remains blank (black) and is not responsive to key or trackpad entry. I have to hold dower the power button and reboot for it to work. Opening up lid before disconnecting the LG monitor seems to be the only "fix."

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed through an OS update at some point, if there is not another solution.

Aug 14, 2017 7:54 AM in response to CGFbl

I have been had this problem. Only happens when I am plugged into an external monitor - the LG 38UC99 - never when just running the stand alone laptop. I stumbled on what seems to be a fix for me. I think the 2016rMBP has a issue switching from the dynamic to integrated graphics chip when wake from sleep while connected to an external monitor. I installed a simple little program called gfxCardStatus. When connected to an external monitor, I select the option to use only the dynamic graphics chip - the integrated chip cannot power the external monitor. By preventing the laptop from using the integrated chip when connected to my external LG monitor, I no longer have this black screen problem. Hope this helps.

May 15, 2017 6:38 PM in response to CGFbl

I use my 2016 MBP 15″ 2.7 GHz Radeon Pro 455 in clamshell mode via an Apple USB-C Digital AV adapter driving a Dell U3415W external display via HDMI and an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I get frequent system hangs wherein unless you open the lid of the laptop and allow the internal display to wake up before disconnecting the AV adapter, the internal display never wakes up and I am forced to either plug the laptop back into the external display and restart gracefully or, if I've disconnected the adapter and run to a meeting, cold boot the Mac by holding own the power key.

Annoying to say the least - it’s been reported to AppleCare and been looked at by no less than 2 Apple Geniuses - the suggestion was I was using an unsupported monitor! Come on, it's a display not an esoteric firewire 800 audio interface!!

I will test over the next couple of days to see it’s fixed in 10.12.5 which was released today (Download macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update)

Regards

James

Jan 27, 2017 9:15 AM in response to CGFbl

Same here. Unplugging the MacBook Pro when the lid is closed and then opening the lid again produces a black screen (where I can see the mouse cursor).

Force reboot does not always work for me, back to the black screen when I login as the previous user. Closing the lid and letting the computer inactive for several minutes seem to work, you go back to the standard login page.

Unplugging the computer when the display is open and active never causes this problem.

Feb 1, 2017 12:56 PM in response to hmlyon

Thanks for the response.

The "open-laptop-before-(dis)connecting" workaround is the trick for now, but unfortunately it isn't the only problem. There is, from time to time upon waking, distortion or buzz around the mouse, or an image of the mouse freezes on the desktop. This becomes annoying enough that it requires a reboot. There are also problems with the speakers. The volume level is not continuous. Depending on the source, it seems to jump rapidly from very low to quite loud.

It's a shame because otherwise the image is impressive- sharp colours and easy on the eyes. Yes, I hope a software update can fix this. It's not obvious- I don't know if it has something do with the LG's hardware/circuitry (and what that entails) or the Mac OS. I ran the new MacBook for over a month on the Thunderbolt display and that worked fine. Fingers crossed that they can solve this software. I would otherwise consider returning the monitor and wait and see what other manufacturers will produce.

It's also a shame that I can no longer enjoy the aesthetics of a well designed Apple monitor, the most visible object on my desk. It's hard to believe that Apple would completely give-up that "billboard" space for their brand.

Mar 17, 2017 2:25 AM in response to CGFbl

So glad I found this thread. This issue is incredibly annoying! Didn't know about the work around so I suppose that will do for now. But def would prefer if Apple fixed the issue. This seems like a major oversight, especially when you consider the price you pay for the new Macbook Pros and LG 5K screen. Also seems to go against the Apple ethos of "it just works". I'm noticing that these small but important details are becoming more and more frequent!

May 15, 2017 7:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant, those suggestions are somewhat helpful - I'll admit that I haven't tried sleeping my MBP before disconnecting the USB-C-to-AV adapter.

Another issue is that even though I wake the internal display before disconnecting, upon disconnecting the whole laptop will lock up - keyboard / touchbar / display non-responsive. This happens even after a clean install on a secondary partition of MacOS 10.12.4 and an NVRAM + SMC reset.

Oct 18, 2017 10:47 AM in response to CGFbl

I have the same problem when disconnecting my 2017 MBP 15" with Touch Bar. When I open the laptop back up it's alive and the touch bar shows the setting to extend or mirror display. Choosing either option doesn't do anything and I always force shut down and then start back up. On occasion where I remember to open before undocking - when I reconnect I have a problem with the attached display which appears as a reduced gamma. Meaning some of the colors show as a pink color as you would see in out of gamma areas in a photoshop file against a specific color profile. Reboot fixes this too.

Monitor is the Dell U2515H

Jan 25, 2018 10:54 AM in response to hkaiwai

I have the same problem & also agree that small annoying problems are becoming more frequent, and not just apple laptops but also with iphones. I think apple has over extended themselves with different products and updates that quality control & testing are stretched to far to cover all the different hardware and software.

My newer mac and iphone suffers far more glitches then older models. This unresponsive screen when unplugging from monitor is just one of many.

MacBook Pro (2016) black screen after unplugging from LG 5K Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.