Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Air Pods-Apple Maps Voice Volume Too Low

Using Apple Maps app (the built-in app with iOS 10.2) and the Air Pods, the Siri voice volume giving directions is very low. It is so low that she really cannot be heard unless the environment is very quiet. This happens when no media, music or podcast is playing (either paused, or the app closed). If I play a podcast, or music from Music app, the Siri turn-by-turn voice is normal.

This condition is repeatable, and selecting Audio in Maps and adjusting Low, Normal or Loud does not help. I can hear the volume level changes, but all of these selections are too low to be useful, without some sort of media also playing.

In contrast, plugging in a 3.5mm pair of Ear Pods results in the Maps Siri directions volume to act normal without any media (music) playing. I had expected the wireless Air Pods to behave the same.

Additionally, this occurs whether my 1st Generation Watch (running 3.1.1) is connected or not (Watch powered off) so the Watch does not seem to be affecting it.

A) If there is a setting I am missing, please direct me there :-)

B) If this is not a setting, consider this as feedback to evaluate and fix in a future iOS.

Thanks,

Nohr

iPhone SE, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 17, 2017 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2017 5:55 AM

Solved the no/low volume condition with Apple Maps and Air Pods! (I know, not ground-breaking but I am pleased)

I got a clue when I found several complaints like this when using Apple Maps, not playing any Music, when connected to Car Play. I understand now that the Siri voice guidance from Maps have two adjustments: One while playing music or other media (directions volume is a percentage of the music volume) and Two with guidance voice only (no media playing)

To solve this, I set Maps to route somewhere (doesn't matter where) to invoke the guidance voice. While the guidance voice is playing, and it has to be done only while Siri's voice is active, the volume can be adjusted up with the iPhone side buttons. Once that is set, it keeps that guidance volume level. After two days of testing, the Air Pod volume with Apple Maps, and no media playing, is where I like it!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2017 5:55 AM in response to ntillm01

Solved the no/low volume condition with Apple Maps and Air Pods! (I know, not ground-breaking but I am pleased)

I got a clue when I found several complaints like this when using Apple Maps, not playing any Music, when connected to Car Play. I understand now that the Siri voice guidance from Maps have two adjustments: One while playing music or other media (directions volume is a percentage of the music volume) and Two with guidance voice only (no media playing)

To solve this, I set Maps to route somewhere (doesn't matter where) to invoke the guidance voice. While the guidance voice is playing, and it has to be done only while Siri's voice is active, the volume can be adjusted up with the iPhone side buttons. Once that is set, it keeps that guidance volume level. After two days of testing, the Air Pod volume with Apple Maps, and no media playing, is where I like it!

Air Pods-Apple Maps Voice Volume Too Low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.