Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wacom driver woes: won't install and/or won't work

Hi all!

This isn't so much of a question, but more of an informative post.

I have detected a serious bug in Wacom's older driver installer(s) that I already reported to the company but, to this day, is still unaddressed (as of January 2017, with the latest “pentablet_5.3.6-7” driver released in December 2016) and, worse even, became “silent” (the earlier version, “pentablet_5.3.6-6”, at least threw an error at the user, letting one know that at least something went wrong with the installation process). As such, I fell it is my duty as a non-english-speaking Mac (and Wacom) user to document my findings, so that other users may solve their own issues.

When installing said driver (for products such as those from the popular Bamboo line of tablets) on a macOS Sierra 10.12.2 system (and below) set up with any language other than english (in my case, that would be Portuguese (Portugal), the installer will either fail (I am not sure what the current behaviour on older versions is, as I no longer have any Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan systems on which I can test it) or apparently succeed but install the driver in an unusable state, as was the case with my setup.

The only recourse for users like me is, I believe, to temporarily switch the system language to English before running the driver installer package, after which the system language may set up back to whatever it was in the first place, apparently with no ill effects on the driver's functioning.

The obvious course of action would be to address Wacom support directly but, as I've said, I already did that and my feedback fell on deaf ears. The next best thing is, obviously, Apple Communities Discussions, so here we are. For a more detailed account of my and other users' findings on this subject, please refer to this discussion on the Yosemite forum: Re: Wacom drivers will not install

Good luck to all international Wacom users out there!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), iMac11,1 / 2.93 GHz i7 / 32 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 10:49 AM

There are no replies.

Wacom driver woes: won't install and/or won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.