Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find photos library

Due to Apple disabling half my programs when I upgraded to Sierra I had to downgrade my system back to El Capitan.

I thought my Photos Library was contained on one of my back up discs. But I just discovered it is gone along with 10 years of photos.

Is it possible that the new-old system has wiped out the original Photos Library? I'm sure I didn't do such a thing myself.

Is there any way I can use a search term to find it? Simply searching for Photos Library isn't any help.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), null

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 8:15 PM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2017 8:42 PM in response to Stuart423

Thanks but the library in the Pictures folder is the one that was automatically installed when I downgraded back to El Capitan. When I was on Sierra earlier, I had deliberately moved my library to a backup disc because it was getting huge. I thought it would stay there when I switched to El Capitan but now I'm wondering if El Capitan got rid of it when it installed its own Photos Library. That's why I wanted to know if there was a good search term I could use.

Jan 18, 2017 9:04 PM in response to stufromhalifax

You are chasing rainbows

Neither upgrading to OS X Sierra nor downgrading to El Captain removes anything and certainly nothing from any backup

And Apple disabled nothing - new OSs require updated software and if your software vendors are reputable they will supply the needed upgraded but you have to install them - you choose to upgrade after you read the upgrade documentation and if you upgrade then you have to upgrade what every software needs to be upgraded -

You moved your Photo library to an EHD - what is the format of that drive? How is it connected?

Help is available but you have to do your part and provide details and sane, coherent questions

LN

Jan 18, 2017 10:41 PM in response to stufromhalifax

Due to Apple disabling half my programs when I upgraded to Sierra I had to downgrade my system back to El Capitan.

If you opened your Photos Library while running Sierra, Photos on El Capitan will not be able to open it. Photos on El Capitan can no longer open a library that has been upgraded to Sierra. To be able to use this library with Photos you will have to go back to Sierra to extract the Photos.

And Photos does not show you libraries that are stored on a drive used by Time Machine.

The easiest thing to get access to a library that has been upgraded to Sierra, would be to download the library from iCloud, if you have been using iCloud Photo Library. Syncing a new Lee Capitan Library with the iCloud Photo Library would create a new El Capitan version.

Otherwise check your backup drive directly in the Finder, if your Photos Library is there. Then ctrl-click it , use "Show Package Contents" and copy the Masters folder out of the library. It should contain the original image files of your photos.

can't find photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.