Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting protected data

So I just updated my phone and now I have a follow up red dot in settings. When I click on It I eventually get to the screen where it tells me to "approve this iPhone from another device". There are no messages or any way to approve it on any other apple device I have. So I go to the next step and it's asking my to "reset my protected data", what exactly does this mean and if I go through with it will it erase a bunch of stuff on my phone?

I Just want to get rid of that annoying red dot safely. I also don't mind setting up iCloud Keychain if I have to. I've never set up iCloud Keychain before, maybe that's what the issue is. What say you community?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.1.1, null

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 8:22 PM

Try setting up keychain. If that doesn't work, contact support.

On your iPhone, go to Settings iCloud Keychain and switch Keychain off then on again.

Tap "Approve with Security Code", tap "Forgot Code" and then tap "Reset".

Follow the instructions to reset iCloud keychain and create a new passcode.

Learned from Zinacef

There is a contact link.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2)

Apple Support by e-mail or chat

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2017 8:22 PM in response to triguy801

Try setting up keychain. If that doesn't work, contact support.

On your iPhone, go to Settings iCloud Keychain and switch Keychain off then on again.

Tap "Approve with Security Code", tap "Forgot Code" and then tap "Reset".

Follow the instructions to reset iCloud keychain and create a new passcode.

Learned from Zinacef

There is a contact link.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2)

Apple Support by e-mail or chat

Resetting protected data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.