Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternative to Repair permissions

Hello

My problem is, that here in sierra 10.12 everytime my MacMini goes to sleep and I wake it up, none of the apps work, they simply won´t open, they just bounce when I click on them.

This is obviously a permissions error, therefore I want to repair and verify permissions, but Apple has removed /usr/libexec/repair_packages and therefore the opportunity in Terminal also.

What do I do now. Do I really have to delete my whole user account and make another, or actually make a complete re-install of the system? In both cases I loose my whole setup!!

This is very stupid and frustrating.

Please help

Best regards Daniel Berg Nicolaisen

Mac mini, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 5:07 AM

Hi Daniel

The permissions repair procedure you seek may be this one: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support.

I don't know what causes them to become changed, but I have my suspicions. If you are using any non-Apple "cleaning" and / or "anti-virus" junk, don't. That just goes without saying.

If you have not done so already, make sure you are running the latest Sierra update. The "combo" update is here: Download macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Combo Update. If you cannot launch it due to the problem you're experiencing, restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and determine if you can install the update while operating in that mode.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2017 5:07 AM in response to Bergerino

Hi Daniel

The permissions repair procedure you seek may be this one: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support.

I don't know what causes them to become changed, but I have my suspicions. If you are using any non-Apple "cleaning" and / or "anti-virus" junk, don't. That just goes without saying.

If you have not done so already, make sure you are running the latest Sierra update. The "combo" update is here: Download macOS Sierra 10.12.2 Combo Update. If you cannot launch it due to the problem you're experiencing, restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and determine if you can install the update while operating in that mode.

Jan 19, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Bergerino

In addition to John's advice, the lengthy, bouncing application icons in the Dock, can be an indication that you need to reset your System Management Controller (SMC).

I had read a post by an Apple employee that stated the new Disk Utility will automatically repair System (but not user) permissions, if necessary, during the run of First Aid. I have not witnessed any visual clue that it is doing so, but Apple may have decided the user doesn't need to see permissions repair logging.

There is also an undocumented /usr/sbin/repairHomePermissions application that is new in Sierra, but unless I see clear documentation how this command is to be used, I certainly won't be running it from blind faith.

Feb 6, 2017 5:45 AM in response to Bergerino

Bergerino wrote:

I do not agree in that statement, I've found it very helpfull when repairing macbooks. It has cured countless of times.

Perhaps in the past. The system is self-repairing now.

Note that, as Barney points out, repairing permissions with Disk Utility has never repaired the permissions on the user's home folder, which is a far more likely source of problems. If you need to deal with permissions issues on the home folder, here's Apple's current advice on that matter:

Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Bergerino

There is no need to manually repair permissions, because the OS takes care of it behind the scenes at this point. Further, repairing permissions has always been more of a ritual than a real solution. It rarely helped on older systems, but it was an easy thing to recommend, so people would recommend it for everything.

Whatever is going on, it's not due to permissions issues, but what it might be is hard to say without more information.

Feb 5, 2017 5:16 AM in response to Bergerino

Bergerino wrote:

I do not agree in that statement, I've found it very helpfull when repairing macbooks. It has cured countless of times.

But what it could have repaired then is currently protected from change, so there is nothing to repair. It never repaired home folder permissions, and it only repaired things that had a BOM in the Receipts folder. If you needed to actually repair system permissions that were altered by crappy software you installed, it could help with that. It never did help fix any problems in the Home folder.

Alternative to Repair permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.