Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very Slow WiFi on new MacBook Pro 13" w/ touchbar

Hello there,

I have a new MacBook Pro 13" with touch bar and the wifi is slow. I have 2 other mac's on the same wireless network and they run faster wifi. Here are some numbers,

IMac (2014) wifi download speeds 350 megs

Macbook 2015 wifi download speeds 100megs

Macbook pro 2016 13" with touch bar wifi download speed 2-14 meg

I talked to apple support a week or so ago and they couldn't find any issues when they did a diagnostic and said it was probably my network and it would most likely need a firmware update. I was running a Linksys WRT1900AC so it was a relatively new wireless router and it had the latest firmware.

This also didn't explain why my iMac and MacBook have faster speeds (still not sure why the IMac is so much faster than the new laptops)

To test the theory of the network they suggested i take the laptop to the Apple store and go on that network and see if there is a slowdown. There i tested 5 machines (all new MacBook pro's). the store machines got between 13-18 megs and my MacBook pro got about 10. so it wasn't too conclusive since the speeds are so much slower.

So i went out this weekend and brought a brand new Linksys Velop triband router and set it up and reran the tests.

The iMac was about the same.

the MacBook was now 180 meg

MacBook pro was 90-100 meg.

Can anyone tell me why such a big difference on these machines? shouldn't the MacBook pro have the fastest speed?

When testing i took all other devices off of the network and ran the tests individually on each machine. so there was no interference of other devices.

Also the testing all took place at the same desk. So location is not a factor.

All 3 machines are running the latest versions of OS

Any help would be appreciated 🙂 do i need to contact apple again to have the wifi replaced?

thanks

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2017 12:11 AM

I did have the same issue but this solved my issue.

Quit all of your internet connected applications

Turn off Wifi

Go to: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

(Open finder click on Go in meny and then choose Go to folder)

Then delete this files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Then reboot you MBP and then reconnect to wifi.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2017 12:11 AM in response to crynus

I did have the same issue but this solved my issue.

Quit all of your internet connected applications

Turn off Wifi

Go to: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

(Open finder click on Go in meny and then choose Go to folder)

Then delete this files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Then reboot you MBP and then reconnect to wifi.

Aug 15, 2017 8:03 PM in response to foussouf

Yes, I'm having the same issue 2017 MBP 15" with touch bar 512 SSD.

My iPhone rocks at 49meg down 5 up and on the 5G network right next to it my MBP rocking 1-2 down and like 0.5 up.

It's so horrible that when I'm working at coffee shops when I use the local network again my phone logs on the local wifi and no issues something always around 10 down and 1-2 up. And again my MBP runs at nearly half that or less. The only way I can get speed out of my MBP with wifi is to use the thunderbolt connection between my phone and the computer and use the hotspot as a wired device. Basically using the phone's antenna and using up data on my phone providers hot spot. But if I don't I can hardly work on such slow wifi network speed.

Also, weird thing is that when I ping the router of whatever network I'm on its ping lag is terrible.

To test this theory I put both my laptop and my iPhone 7 next to each other about 15ft away from the Wireless router.

Both on the same 5G network

User uploaded file

As you'll see I have 1193ms times and even 2682ms ping times. I see one test as low as 2ms. But that's a huge variance especially since the majority of the time I'm around 1000ms on my MBP.

So now compare on the EXACT same network my iPhone 7

User uploaded file

My average ping was 6ms! 6! my average on my MBP is probably closer to 800-900ms! That's significantly slower on my MBP. And I test this out where ever I go. Hoping it's just my router or something else. But it happens everywhere. I'm starting to think at this point it's hardware related. yes, I did the following instructions on this thread to remove the files as directed. But that maybe worked for an hour and then again this crap.

Anyone else noticing the same?

Feb 7, 2017 6:30 AM in response to Calby

Thanks for the replies!

I tried the files you mentioned above but it did not work.

I have gotten it fixed though!

After talking to a few people at apple over the phone I took it into the store for help. They noticed slow speeds as well

They ended up allowing me to return the MacBook pro and get another one. Same model etc.

I brought it home and the speeds are 300-400 meg downloads like they should be 🙂

so it looks like it was hardware related. While testing things at the apple store we noticed one of the USB C ports not working properly as well. So maybe an issue with the motherboard.

All is well though and thanks again to the staff at the Greensboro NC Apple store for their help!

Aug 14, 2017 5:57 AM in response to crynus

Wow this worked for me too. All night I kept Pinging my Router and seeing that from my brand new 2017 15" Macbook Pro I would get such random ping times out of 4 it would be 1,000ms - 200ms. Then on my iphone 7 right next to it nothing longer than 70ms. So I was so frustrated I was about to take this computer back. Saw this post and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. I'm at a Starbucks and noticing that my Macbook can't seem to get anything faster than 5m down and 1m up. But again my iphone is rocking 50 down and 5 up. SO my witt end said to give this a try and low and behold IT WORKED. I have no idea how those specific files were tracked down to be the issue. But Im curious now. But maybe not so curious as now I can finally enjoy the speed of wifi.

Dec 24, 2017 6:56 AM in response to crynus

Hello!

I tried the SystemConfiguration steps a couple of times and it finally worked! Thank you!

I had the same problem with my 2017 MacBook Pro 13". I was testing the speeds against my old 2011 MacBook Pro 13", and the speeds were much slower. I tried deleting the files one time, and it didn't work. I was afraid that I was going to have to take the MacBook back after I spent so long getting all of the software I needed loaded on. Just to be safe, I tried it a few more times. After the last time, I loaded up my MacBook, and the speeds were testing faster than the old (although my internet connection is already slow as it is..).

Thanks for the help!

Very Slow WiFi on new MacBook Pro 13" w/ touchbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.