Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does apple pay change my Credit card number

I've used apple pay twice. I see now on my receipts that it is not the same credit card number. I need to have my correct number on my receipts for accounting purposes.

WHY are you changing it? This works great but now I see I can't use it!

Dave

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 8:18 AM

On my receipt the last four digits came up with a different credit card number. When returning an item, the customer service member gave my a hard time explaining the physical card I presented didn't match the receipt. I logged into my bank app and showed her the payment, same date and price, but she still didn't accept it. How can I go about resolving issues like this in the future?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2018 8:18 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

On my receipt the last four digits came up with a different credit card number. When returning an item, the customer service member gave my a hard time explaining the physical card I presented didn't match the receipt. I logged into my bank app and showed her the payment, same date and price, but she still didn't accept it. How can I go about resolving issues like this in the future?

Jan 20, 2017 3:28 AM in response to Dave Taylor

Hi Dave

Your receipts are not supposed to show the last few digits of your actual credit card. They instead show the last few digits of the Device Account Number.

Whenever a payment card is added to Apple Pay, the combination of that card and that device (Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad or Mac) is given a unique Device Account Number.

Using this number instead of your actual card number forms part of Apple Pay's built-in security measures that help to protect your data during payment transactions.

When returning an item, you may be asked to show the last few digits of this number on your device.

To view the last few digits of the Device Account Number on the device that was used for payment:

On iPhone: Open Wallet > select the card that was used for payment > tap on the info "i" icon at the lower-right > tap on the Info tab > the last few digits of your Device Account Number are displayed under Card Information.

For payments made via Apple Watch: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Wallet & Apple Pay > tap on the payment card > the last few digits of your Device Account Number are displayed under Card Information.

More information about why this feature is used - along with information about Apple Pay's other privacy and security features - is available here:

Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2017 3:37 PM in response to Dave Taylor

That's the dynamic security code. It's a security feature - your actual credit/debit card number isn't used; the dynamic security code is used in its placed when making transactions. If hackers breach a payment terminal/database and got your credit card number, in reality they would just get the one-time dynamic security code which would be useless to them.

I sincerely doubt that Apple would change this as it would compromise security.

See the "Use Apple Pay in stores" section of Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support for more information.

Jan 13, 2018 2:11 PM in response to Dave Taylor

Hey Dave,

Apple Pay isn´t using your card number from your normal credit or debit card.

They are changing your card number every transaction so that it is impossible to abuse your credit card number.

Also it makes it more difficult for the shop to find out who has payed at their shop and you are safer.

To read more about this you should read "How secure is Apple Pay?" by using this link. 😉

About Apple Pay - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2017 3:11 PM in response to Dave Taylor

This is a user to user forum. We as users like yourself are not doing anything with your credit cards.

Apple has no access to cards stored in Wallet and used for Apple Pay.

If you have more than one card in Wallet, Apple Pay will by use the card set as the default card when making purchases.

Each time you make a purchase, it should show you which card is being used with a picture of it, and its last 4 numbers.

If the selected card is not the one you wish to use to pay at that time, you can select a different one by tapping on the picture of the card and selecting the correct one from the provided options.

Using Apple Pay in stores, and within apps and websites - Apple Support

Pay with a different card instead of your default card

To switch cards on your iPhone, hold your device near the reader without resting your finger on Touch ID. When your default card appears, tap it, then tap the one that you want to use. Rest your finger on Touch ID to pay.

Jan 19, 2017 3:34 PM in response to Dave Taylor

If you need to choose Credit or Debit on the terminal, choose Credit. If you need to provide the last four digits of your card, use the Device Account Number. For iPhone, open Wallet, tap your card, then tap User uploaded file to see the Device Account Number. For Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, then tap your card to see the Device Account Number.

Jan 2, 2018 8:25 AM in response to finster56

finster56 wrote:

See my previous reply within this same thread:

Re: why does apple pay change my Credit card number

See also under "How do I return an item that I bought using Apple Pay in a store?" here:

About Apple Pay - Apple Support

why does apple pay change my Credit card number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.