Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 3GS: Obsolete or still could give a fight?

Hey Apple users!

This is just a small question, cuz a friend wanted to sell me me an Iphone 3GS for some money, and after researching (And also taking in mind that my brother's birthday is coming soon and he NEEDS a phone, which could be a perfect birthday gift), BOY that phone does have A LOT of memory! I mean, 256 of RAM isn't compared to my current phone, but it's an Iphone! And it's 32GB of memory! And it's an Iphone! And it runs on iO! And it's... ok, i'll stop

My question is... is the Iphone 3GS obsolete? Because i wanted to buy it just to know how does it feel having an Iphone (I am gonna keep my Iphone and give my brother my old Samsung Galaxy Young), and i know it might be too old, but it's the most cheapest Iphone i could ever afford (the Iphone 7 would cost my entire Gaming PC and my tablet :O ). I've heard Whatsapp won't run anymore on that model xS

So what do you guys think?

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 8:56 PM

Hi,

I have a 3GS iphone with 16 gb of memory and am happy with it. The highest update is iOS 6.1.6 so a lot of newer apps won't work on it. I don't want to upgrade because the service provider's monthly charge for newer iphones is more than double what I pay now. The camera is not as good as the newer ones, but as a music player and a phone it works great and you can sync it with iTunes. With 32 gb your brother should be happy.

Before paying for it, make sure the present owners disassociates it from their Apple ID and return it to factory settings. See this article. Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2017 8:56 PM in response to Noganeto1

Hi,

I have a 3GS iphone with 16 gb of memory and am happy with it. The highest update is iOS 6.1.6 so a lot of newer apps won't work on it. I don't want to upgrade because the service provider's monthly charge for newer iphones is more than double what I pay now. The camera is not as good as the newer ones, but as a music player and a phone it works great and you can sync it with iTunes. With 32 gb your brother should be happy.

Before paying for it, make sure the present owners disassociates it from their Apple ID and return it to factory settings. See this article. Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Jun 14, 2017 12:34 PM in response to Noganeto1

I also found an iphone 3GS 8GB and I have it just for fun, I added to my iCloud account and everything works good on it, PhotoStream, FindmyFriends, Mail, Reminders, Contacts, everything syncs. I recomend to you to get Apps on newer iphone or ipod then try to download the same app on your iphone 3gs will ask you to download a previous version, in that way you will be able to use skype, whatsapp and a tons of other apps.

Other important thing, check on AT&T page and request unlock your iphone if is not unlocked they will send you an email when you can perform an unlocking process thru iTunes. Mine was locked to ATT then receiving the confirmation email now my iphone is unlocked.

Iphone 3GS: Obsolete or still could give a fight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.