Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant update Logic Pro X 10.3

Hi,

Im running a mid 2014 macbook pro, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, running Logic Pro X 10.2.4. Im not getting the "update" option on my mac store app, to update my Logic Pro X to version 10.3

When I click on "updates" on the mac store, it says "No updates available". When I go to my purchases, it says, "open" for Logic Pro X.

However, when I search "Logic Pro X" it shows me an option to update. But I cant see if its updating or not.

Can anyone please help ? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 21, 2017 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 11:12 PM

Minimum requirement for Logic 10.3 is El Capitan. I have the same issue and not ready to update yet as everything is working so well with Yosemite.

I can't believe Apple would alienate Yosemite users, but this is Apple after all.

17 replies

Feb 9, 2017 8:47 AM in response to thelastbencher

Well I guess I should chime in again considering when I first posted I was still on Yosemite with my 2015 MacPro... long story short I did my research and decided to update to Sierra (of course, I backed up everything in time machine beforehand) and I have not been disappointed. All my third party plugins work perfectly from about 12-15 different company's, big and small, and everything is a go! My interface is in tip top shape and all I can say is if you have a back up disk, do some research on all you plugins and take the leap. I'm only on Sierra 10.12 I didn't update further than that yet. Hope this helps someone

Jul 5, 2017 5:37 PM in response to thelastbencher

I have been using Logic since it was Notator.. I dealt with the pain of Apple taking over from Emagic. Those were the days when you could call up Dave and just ask a question no problem. Zero call centers.

i am still running 10.4 with Logic 7.2.3, and it is as stable as can be. I have taken the G5 off the internet. I use that machine for a lot a composition. I have my studio built into the environment, with a lot of little tricks here and there that I have created over the many years.

Now I have another Mac on Mavericks, and I don't want to update the OS. I don't care if every computer can sync data after I take a pic or video with my iPhone. These are my workstations, and are not used for hobbie. Once I get them stable they come off the web, and then I use a thumb drive or other media to send out information.

I still ill do not like the way Apple forces system updates for minor software updates.

I wish BeOS would have taken over Logic. That was the underground word back in the day. A devoted OS/music workstation. Like you boot into Logic.

But as time has proven to me over the many years using Apple products.....Updates, latest and greatest and the like can actually set you back, and not move you forward.

Jul 5, 2017 11:48 PM in response to One Mishyon Music

If you find someone with a mac capable of running el capitan, but has still snow leopard running, you can get the el capitan installer. Download it from the app store, but don't install yet. Just copy the installer (residing in the app folder) to your machine. Place it in the app folder start it from there. (It will be deleted after install) I would whole heartedly recommend el capitan over yosemite. Yosemite is eating a lot more memory...

Jul 6, 2017 12:48 AM in response to Jeremy1975

What are good strategies to upgrade. Of course only if you want to use features not available in the old version, or you hope to get rid of bugs (and hope no new ones are introduced). As long as you have time machine backups you can always give it a try. (Out of luck on Tiger though...;-)

Hardware can and will die though. But there is an option which can rescue old systems: Virtual machines... You would even be able to run PPC programs. VMware and Parallels are almost as fast as the native machine. Imagine setting up a Mac Pro, run Snow Leopard Server and your Logic 7.x. It will be a lot faster than your G5 Heater (keep it running in Winter...)

Such a setup can be maintained along any new machine. And for the nostalgic you can run it in Fullscreen as if Snow Leopard would run native. (Imagine this setup on a brand new retina, and then go to the genie bar at an apple store and ask some Snow Leo questions...;-) Unfortunately there is no OS 9 emulator that can connect to audio hardware...

Cant update Logic Pro X 10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.