Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate from iPhone 3gs to iPhone 6s

I want to migrate all data (contacts, messages, photos, calendar, apps, etc. ...) from my old iPhone 3gs to a new iPhone 6s. The 3gs iOS is current. The 6s has what ever level of iOS ships with it.

Can iTunes back-up/restore be used to accomplish this task?

If not, what is recommended?

Please advise. Thanks! :-))

iPhone 3GS (8GB), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 7:45 PM

Thanks! 🙂

This seems to have worked for all the categories of supplied, pre-installed applications, user-installed applications, and settings (both system and user). A statement to this effect in the documentation at the referenced link would be quite useful. Plus, there are many more applications that were added, by virtue of upgrading. It will take a while to absorb. So far, the upgrade is really impressive.

Some detail information did not make the migration (e.g., the second line of calendar entries). What was once a free-form abbreviated notes field is now used by location services. All my "notes" have been lost, which is significant for repeating entries like family member birthdays. It would have been great if an option would have been presented to have that information moved to the calendar entry notes area on the target device. There might be more lost data encountered in the future -- too soon to tell. This, by way of example, is the reason and motivation for my original post.

Such documentation would be a very helpful guide for planning migrations and upgrades. The powerful richness of iTunes backup for cell phone migrations and upgrades is not prominently featured, but probably should be.

Where would one find a from/to matrix for all the data fields of various supported migration and upgrade options?

Again, thanks!! 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2017 7:45 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks! 🙂

This seems to have worked for all the categories of supplied, pre-installed applications, user-installed applications, and settings (both system and user). A statement to this effect in the documentation at the referenced link would be quite useful. Plus, there are many more applications that were added, by virtue of upgrading. It will take a while to absorb. So far, the upgrade is really impressive.

Some detail information did not make the migration (e.g., the second line of calendar entries). What was once a free-form abbreviated notes field is now used by location services. All my "notes" have been lost, which is significant for repeating entries like family member birthdays. It would have been great if an option would have been presented to have that information moved to the calendar entry notes area on the target device. There might be more lost data encountered in the future -- too soon to tell. This, by way of example, is the reason and motivation for my original post.

Such documentation would be a very helpful guide for planning migrations and upgrades. The powerful richness of iTunes backup for cell phone migrations and upgrades is not prominently featured, but probably should be.

Where would one find a from/to matrix for all the data fields of various supported migration and upgrade options?

Again, thanks!! 🙂

Migrate from iPhone 3gs to iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.