Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open directory application preferences

Hello,

I have started to build server network in my small business environment. I have 5 mac computers (Sierra) and 8 users with Sierra / 5.2 server. Machines, local network and OD accounts works as planned, but I cannot get application preferences to move between machines.

I have tried both manually enter preferences in one machine and enrolling setting through profile manager. For example for mail.app I may get one machine working correctly but next machine has empty mail.app.

It seems like folders and files stays in server accounts but application preferences doesn't get transferred from machine to machine. How this should be handled?

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 10:43 PM

3 replies

Jan 24, 2017 7:53 AM in response to traktori

Hi,

It all depends on binding the computers to open directory with a profile and then providing configuration profiles for specific users. DNS is very important for this to work correctly.

How did you setup the server? Did you verify DNS settings?

There's no real transfer taking place, a computer is bound by a profile, then a user logs in and is provided by profile manager with the correct profiles for his or her group or his of her account, because of this binding.

What do you want to accomplish? application preferences do not move between machines, they are provided based on the profiles you have setup in profile manager.

The foundation for that setup is a correct working DNS configuration.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Jan 24, 2017 10:13 AM in response to jepping

Hello and thanks for reply!

I have computers binded to open directory and profile manager is able to send configuration profiles both to computers and users. There is some glitches as sometimes computer needs to restart or re-login to get profile installed. This is all in private network. DNS should be fine.

I put now a simple test environment, where there is two client computers and two client users. In profile manager I put individual gmail settings for both users and a simple computer settings in device group. These computer settings got through and installed correctly. Gmail settings were installed in mail.app for the other user in first computer, but when I login to another computer (after logout in first), mail setting were empty. And after that also in first computer it was empty again. I don't have the profile manager log here atm, but it said something like you cannot have two similar imap accounts at the same time.

Another user I installed mail settings to second computer by hand and logout. When login to first computer again mail settings were empty. Same happened to Safari keychain items so website passwords were missing after logout-login.

Manually transferring user account from computer to computer needs these preferences to be handled carefully with correct user rights. Is this problem related to these rights?

Open directory application preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.