Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change notification sounds on iPhone

Is there a way to change notification sound for apps other than system apps such Mail, Text or Facebook etc. Because my iPhone by default plays Tri-Tone sound for all my push notifications from third party apps! And it's very hard to know from the notification as they all have the same sound. Help!

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2017 9:34 PM

That is not even close to what the person wanted. We don't want to turn the notification sound on and off, we want to make it play a different sound for different apps. There is no way to do that in Settings > Sounds. There used to be a way to set different sounds for different apps.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2017 9:34 PM in response to i_rina

That is not even close to what the person wanted. We don't want to turn the notification sound on and off, we want to make it play a different sound for different apps. There is no way to do that in Settings > Sounds. There used to be a way to set different sounds for different apps.

Nov 21, 2017 11:14 AM in response to huzzihusain

Yeah, this is nuts. I have the same notification sound for LinkedIn, Twitter, (and many others) as I do when my gate opens. My dogs lose it when they hear it so it's become entirely inconvenient. Apple should easily listen to its' customers and allow for custom notification sounds the same way phone numbers can have custom ringtones. What's the problem, Apple?

Dec 29, 2017 4:10 PM in response to huzzihusain

Apple,

This is the most robotic auto canned response I think I’ve seen. With the amount of money your company currently has, you can’t hire a decent human like response, instead of giving the user an exact answer to their question?

That laughable robotic like response didn’t even answer their question, and completely bypassed it.

I can’t believe I am even writing a response to this, but I have to call it out as I work in Customer Experience, and we would NEVER let this type of response slide.

Embarrassing, Apple. Spend a couple extra bucks (you clearly can afford it), to have your employees respond with direct answers. Not just a copy and paste outline. It’s called “logic”.

Jan 24, 2017 11:09 AM in response to huzzihusain

Hi huzzihusain,

I see that you're looking to customize your notification sounds for third party apps. I can see why you'd want it set up this way; that does sound very convenient.

Take a look at the following information, particularly the portion at the bottom that mentions "Sounds".

Change alert styles and settings for notifications

Customize your notifications with different alert styles so you can act quickly on emails, calendar invites, messages, and more. To add or change an alert style for a notification, go to Settings > Notifications and select an app.

Notifications from apps can have these alerts styles:

• Banners: Banner alerts appear at the top of the screen and go away automatically. To reply, swipe down on the banner or swipe up to dismiss it. If you have an iPhone 6s or later, you can respond to a banner alert with 3D Touch. Just press deeply on a banner alert to respond.
  • Alerts: With Alerts, you need to act before you can move on. Depending on the app, you can dismiss the alert or reply to it.
  • Badges: A Badge is the red number that appears on an app icon and shows you how many notifications you have for that app.
  • Sounds: Have an app play a sound to alert you when you receive a notification.

Use Notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
Take care!

How to change notification sounds on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.