Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad can't access Facebook, other devices can

The Facebook app on my iPad wouldn't connect, giving "network error", so I deleted and reinstalled it, and now it won't log in, giving "error 43".

If I try to go to facebook.com on the iPad, Safari tells me it can't open the page because the server can't be found.

I can access facebook.com on my Mac and on my iPhone, plus the Facebook app works on the iPhone.

All devices are on the safe wi-fi network. Why can't the iPad find Facebook, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

iPad Pro, iOS 10.2, 4G, 128 GB

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 3:45 PM

7 replies

Jan 23, 2017 6:10 PM in response to Erroll

The plot thickens: I've just noticed that, while the app opens on the iPad without an error message, my LinkedIn feed hasn't updated for at least a couple of days, and if I try to access linkedin.com, Safari again tells me it can't open the page because the server can't be found.

As with Facebook, LinkedIn works fine on my iPhone and I can access linkedin.com on both the Mac and the iPhone.

What does the iPad have against social media? 😕

Thanks,

Jan 23, 2017 11:55 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can browse lots of other websites in Safari on the iPad. I was going to say all other websites but I've discovered, though the Tumblr and Pinterest apps work and serve up photos, stories etc., Safari gives the same "page can't be opened because the server can't be found" error message at Tumblr.com and Pinterest.com. Again I can access these sites in Safari on both the Mac and the iPhone.

The Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr and Pinterest apps are all in the same folder on the iPad, but other apps in that folder – including (Facebook) Messenger and Skype – work as advertised.

My brain hurts. 😕

Thanks again,

Jan 24, 2017 12:23 AM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks again for the reply

Briansyddall wrote:

Hi

Go to settings - Safari delete history & data then try Facebook

This tells me that it will delete all browsing history and cookies on all devices logged into iCloud, which is all my deivces. I think this means that sites I visit on my Mac that log me in automatically and know my preferences, will no longer do that. Is that correct?

Download Firefox from apps store to see if Facebook works on that.

That seems a reasonable idea and I'll try it.

It seems odd that the Facebook and LinkedIn apps can't access their servers either; it's not just Safari.

Thanks again,

Jan 24, 2017 2:56 AM in response to Erroll

I wiped the iPad and then restored from an iCloud backup and it's still the same.

In Settings/Facebook I deleted the Facebook account, then tried to log in again and got "Error signing in. There is no connection to the Internet". Except there is a connection to the internet and almost everything on the iPad that makes use of it is working properly. 😕

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

iPad can't access Facebook, other devices can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.